• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can a wild Lasiodora become a pet?

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
Dont be over dramatic.

ALL tarantulas at one time were in the Wild minding their own business.
Why should only Americans and Europeans get to keep Tarantulas.
I think EVERYONE should keep tarantulas, they are beautiful, fascinating creatures to keep.
Not all tarantulas were once in the wild. Unless you only keep would caught specimens. Mine are captive bred. I'm sure the OP can find legal, captive bred tarantulas to keep.

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
I see you have Harpactira pulchripes so you obviously do.
I guess your one of those guys? The "all tarantulas were smuggled 50 years ago so it's ok now"
Will maybe your great grandfather kept slaves? Does that make it right?
I wasn't in the hobby 50 years ago. I can't be held responsible for what people did back then and neither can you. But we can all do the right thing here and now.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I guess your one of those guys? The "all tarantulas were smuggled 50 years ago so it's ok now"
Will maybe your great grandfather kept slaves? Does that make it right?
I wasn't in the hobby 50 years ago. I can't be held responsible for what people did back then and neither can you. But we can all do the right thing here and now.
50 years ago? Try every year. I would say there are probably more new species entering the hobby through smuggling/brown boxing than legal imports. I'm afraid the bitter pill you have to swallow is that if you are involved in this hobby then you are directly or indirectly supporting this activity. Especially if you own species from countries such as Brazil or South Africa where there is a zero export policy. Just because you buy from a "reputable dealer" a generation or two down the line, it doesn't absolve you of this. You are still creating the demand that the smugglers seek to supply.
Now because I see in your signature, as well as me being bored and playing devil's advocate, that you mention smuggling as being illegal, unethical and immoral. Tell me which do you consider worse? The legal exportation of tarantulas, where hundreds of specimens are collected every year, essentially strip mining areas (the good old Chilean Rose being a perfect example) for the pet trade or a couple of German/Polish collectors illegally taking a few specimens/egg sacs & selling off the slings at high value which then go on to populate the hobby?

Latest posts