• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C. schioedtei - building a new home

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tigger, my Malaysian Earth Tiger moved home 4 weeks ago tomorrow and immediately chose its new home site.

2 days later it had burrowed down

After 3 weeks it had built this amazing entrance to the burrow

I don't see much of this one but a few minutes after feeding it last night I spotted it at the entrance. Sorry about the quality but I didn't dare move the others to get a better shot.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tell this one that, it's in an arboreal container but spends its whole time underground.
Hello
This Malaysian earth tiger/Cyriopagopus schioedtei shows the same tendencies as the Lampropelma Violaceopes,they burrow as slings and juvies when older they venture up. I have 4 specimens,and had a mature female. Funny how asian arboreal specimens do this,even with Poecilotheria.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello
This Malaysian earth tiger shows the same tendencies as the Lampropelma Violaceopes,they burrow as slings and juvies when older they venture up. I have 4 specimens,and had a mature female. Funny how asian arboreal specimens do this,even with Poecilotheria.

I had noticed that in its previous container it burrowed completely, out of sight all the time, whereas since I rehoused it it has made this elaborate burrow and will appear at the entrance occasionally so hopefully it will soon be more visible and arboreal. It's certainly a good feeder.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had noticed that in its previous container it burrowed completely, out of sight all the time, whereas since I rehoused it it has made this elaborate burrow and will appear at the entrance occasionally so hopefully it will soon be more visible and arboreal. It's certainly a good feeder.
I add more substrate,so if they want they can burrow. I have specimens,that push that substrate up and even incorporate the lid into their home/hide.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I add more substrate,so if they want they can burrow. I have specimens,that push that substrate up and even incorporate the lid into their home/hide.

I gave it plenty substrate when I rehoused it knowing it liked to burrow and yes, it has built the substrate up. My P. irminia has gone right up to the lid so I need to be very careful that I don't trap its feet when I put the lid back on after feeding etc. as it has a habit of putting them over the top of the container.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I gave it plenty substrate when I rehoused it knowing it liked to burrow and yes, it has built the substrate up. My P. irminia has gone right up to the lid so I need to be very careful that I don't trap its feet when I put the lid back on after feeding etc. as it has a habit of putting them over the top of the container.
Fed all my Specimens of these a few minutes ago,you just see the feet then wham the feeders are gone.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Tell this one that, it's in an arboreal container but spends its whole time underground.

I have 34 species of arboreals, all sizes; they're all at or below substrate level except for the Avics. Tarantulas are opportunists, and use the best location available. In captivity that's often under a cork slab.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed all my Specimens of these a few minutes ago,you just see the feet then wham the feeders are gone.

This one certainly likes its food.

I have 34 species of arboreals, all sizes; they're all at or below substrate level except for the Avics. Tarantulas are opportunists, and use the best location available. In captivity that's often under a cork slab.

That's good to know as my son's P. vittata spends most of her time on the substrate.

Poec54

3 Year Member
That's good to know as my son's P. vittata spends most of her time on the substrate.

The term 'arboreal' is used for any species that lives off the ground. It can be splitting hairs. Some 'arboreals' live in shrubs, at the base of trees, or cliff slopes. Most people make the assumption they're all living way up in trees.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The term 'arboreal' is used for any species that lives off the ground. It can be splitting hairs. Some 'arboreals' live in shrubs, at the base of trees, or cliff slopes. Most people make the assumption they're all living way up in trees.

That makes sense. On the other hand my P. metallica only goes to the bottom in pre-moult.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I didn't even see the legs tonight it was so quick. I almost didn't believe I'd actually seen Tigger let alone saw her grab the cricket.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I didn't even see the legs tonight it was so quick. I almost didn't believe I'd actually seen Tigger let alone saw her grab the cricket.
They react super fast,I was just looking up Haplopelma Hainanum on YouTube couldn't believe what I saw actual handling wow now that was a shock. Imagine a youngster seeing that since YouTube is very impressionable,it being THE MOST venomous tarantula and thinking oh he did it let me try.

I have guts,I have worked with venomous specimens of snakes but I haven't played Russian roulette and said let's spin the fang and pull the trigger. Okay sounded better in my head,haha. Some of the things I have seen so far,just makes me wonder what bites have occurred but not documented.

These Asian ones hit fast,and hard with a venom to back it up. Making a video of say 11 seconds for so called quick fame,and maybe having pain and very bad repercussions for weeks just doesn't add up.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They react super fast,I was just looking up Haplopelma Hainanum on YouTube couldn't believe what I saw actual handling wow now that was a shock. Imagine a youngster seeing that since YouTube is very impressionable,it being THE MOST venomous tarantula and thinking oh he did it let me try.

I have guts,I have worked with venomous specimens of snakes but I haven't played Russian roulette and said let's spin the fang and pull the trigger. Okay sounded better in my head,haha. Some of the things I have seen so far,just makes me wonder what bites have occurred but not documented.

These Asian ones hit fast,and hard with a venom to back it up. Making a video of say 11 seconds for so called quick fame,and maybe having pain and very bad repercussions for weeks just doesn't add up.

That was incredible tonight, I'm so glad I saw it but I can't imagine why anyone would put themselves in that situation with one. I'm ultra careful, the container is only opened for feeding etc while inside an ExoTerra viv so I have a second line of defence.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That was incredible tonight, I'm so glad I saw it but I can't imagine why anyone would put themselves in that situation with one. I'm ultra careful, the container is only opened for feeding etc while inside an ExoTerra viv so I have a second line of defence.
You've got to respect these awesome Asian tarantulas, wait till that specimen is mature I had a mature female they are stunning and large. I have three now,but still young now I will go through their growth again until they are mature.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You've got to respect these awesome Asian tarantulas, wait till that specimen is mature I had a mature female they are stunning and large. I have three now,but still young now I will go through their growth again until they are mature.

This one is only around 1'' now so plenty growing to do.

Latest posts