• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brazilian Black Or Mexican Red Knuckle??

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both great spiders, both slow growing and long lived, both are very simple to keep. I like the pulchra better than the smithi, but that's just my own opinion. The smithi is THE hobby classic, and gorgeous, but the pulchra, freshly molted, jet black..stunning.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Still a beginner but I'm already looking at getting a second T. I like the Brazilian Black [Grammostola pulchra] and the Mexican Red Knuckle [Brachypelma smithi]. Opinions on both?
Both are great specimen to have. The smithi is much slower growing than the pulchra. I am partial to the pulchra, I am a bit biased on that choice, but I do own both species. Either one will be with you 20 years plus with a female, and a good 6 years plus with a male (assuming you get a spiderling)
I would say get a pulchra next.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
laughed a bit when I seen red knuckle lol... but the red knee is an amazing spider! don't have a pulchra yet but will one day!

Timmy G

3 Year Member
Both are great specimen to have. The smithi is much slower growing than the pulchra. I am partial to the pulchra, I am a bit biased on that choice, but I do own both species. Either one will be with you 20 years plus with a female, and a good 6 years plus with a male (assuming you get a spiderling)
I would say get a pulchra next.

Thank you for the info. I'm really liking the pulchra and have read up on them quite a bit. Reading is one thing hands on is another so I figured I'd reach out.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
B. smithi Ts are more in circulation than the G. pulchra, just my 2cents on the matter. ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I found a pulchra :) have to wait till tax time though before i can order any more Ts.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Really depends on how much money you want to spend and if you want adults or slings. Smithi is going to be a lot less expensive then Pulchra. I love both and have both, but I prefer Pulchra.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i prefer slings. I want to watch them mature into adults :) we have sub-zero weather again for the next couple weeks, so i have time to make up my mind before i order.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I want a G. pulchra for my next T... hopefully I can hold out until the reptile expo comes by me but its a few months away... cant wait to see all the T's they will have to offer!!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mexican Red Knuckle? That's a new one :p I'm assuming you mean B.smithi?

Timmy G

3 Year Member
Yes, I'm a novice. Hey Chubbs maybe you can tell me, when some members of the Forum post messages there are a series of numbers and species listed under the message. What is the significance?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Yes, I'm a novice. Hey Chubbs maybe you can tell me, when some members of the Forum post messages there are a series of numbers and species listed under the message. What is the significance?

It denotes how many of what sex. First number means it is a male, second is female and if there is a third number, that means unsexed.

Latest posts