• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma hybrid question

Leescrivo

3 Year Member
Hello all hope you are well .
so the age old hybrid question . I am aware that in the hobby the old pure breed/ blood line tarantula have became a bit muddy .Due to some idiots cross breeding or some good old honest mistakes lol .
I also understand that we can get natural hybrids and colour morphs and this adds to the confusion. DNA testing being the answer but that’s a expensive game for the scientific world .
So my question is a have a 2 brachypelma bohemi and both from very reputable breeders.
These two have different colours and markings ( again reading so threads that markings alone are not, a good identification)are they to be considered bohemians (hobby form ) or are they just hybrid.

Attachments

• DD80ABF8-FF0C-4DCC-88DA-5DBE4FFAAF1B.jpeg
    DD80ABF8-FF0C-4DCC-88DA-5DBE4FFAAF1B.jpeg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 18
  • E9D9D58D-931F-4A55-BCF6-E238CA283158.jpeg
    E9D9D58D-931F-4A55-BCF6-E238CA283158.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 18

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For once I will beg to differ with @WolfSpider :)
On the first picture, the black triangle covering the eyes made me immediately think of an emilia as well but once checking the legs I would say I am pretty sure they are bohemi. The classic emilia orange legs coloration is usually on one segment only and doesn't go up to the "knee". This said I have been wrong before :D but my vote goes to bohemi and I guess some cross breeding might have happened at some points but it is just speculations as some differences between individuals can also be found in the wild.
You have two cuties that look perfect to me even with some differences in style ;)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did you buy the both as slings and raise them up? We have a bohemei small juvie that was bought as a B. Auratum sling.. As its grown it clearly a B. Bohemei so I'm guessing some slings got mislabeled at some point - can I ask where you bought them from?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Did you buy the both as slings and raise them up? We have a bohemei small juvie that was bought as a B. Auratum sling.. As its grown it clearly a B. Bohemei so I'm guessing some slings got mislabeled at some point - can I ask where you bought them from?
Very interesting as I experienced the same....

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Utmost respect for @Oursapoil and @Arachnoclown. Given their objections, I reassessed the pic. I believe I was wrong. I'm sorry. But dang, I see a bit of emelia in that pick.
Don't blame you for thinking emelia straight off - it's an emelia carapace with bohemei legs? Well that's what I'm seeing at least - there must be a fair few of these knocking about as bought as slings...

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't blame you for thinking emelia straight off - it's an emelia carapace with bohemei legs? Well that's what I'm seeing at least - there must be a fair few of these knocking about as bought as slings...
... And people will be thinking the very same as the Op :)