1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma got me hooked

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Inventory Full, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Inventory Full

Inventory Full New Member

Hey everybody, I bought my first sling from a local exotic store just after Christmas. That was my daughter's idea for my present. I opted for a Hamorii because I always liked how they looked and I instantly became hooked. Since then I have picked up a b. vagans and a b. albopilosum, so I guess I'm collecting brachypelmas.

I came to this thread to see if I could find a better substrate and the replies were so friendly and helpful I decided to join. I look forward to talking to you all in the future and sharing in something we are all passionate about.

-John
    RonC likes this.
  2. RonC

RonC Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums. Good choice for beginner Ts. I started with Grammostollas then got a couple of Brachys. Hamorii, and Albopillosum.Would have had a Vegans but it was DOA. Most use coco fiber for substrate. Others have their special blends. I mix enough water in it to allow it to pack but not be wet then allow it to dry out depending on size of the T. Smaller than one inch I try to keep a little moisture in the substrate.
    Inventory Full and ilovebrachys like this.
  3. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member Premium Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Hello and welcome :)
    Inventory Full and ilovebrachys like this.
  4. ilovebrachys

ilovebrachys Well-Known Member

welcome to the group:T:
    Inventory Full likes this.
  5. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

6. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

Mine always brings a smile to my face. Since they're a dry spider, coco fiber is just fine.

Keep the water dish full & feed it every week if under 2", otherwise I just do mine every 2 weeks with either a small mealworm, roach or cricket.

Although you CAN handle them, that's always a bad idea with and tarantula. A catch cup, paintbrush and a well fitted lid are your friends.

B hamorii Samaria settles in 2.jpg
    B hamorii Samaria likes moss 3.jpg

Another fun genus is Lasiodora species or A geniculata etc. These are very different, great feeding response, huge size and fast growth.

L klugi Justina post molt 12 18 3rd day 2.jpg

L klugi Justina molt 12-28-17_1.jpg

I have since removed the moss from the B hamorii's cage because it was unnecessary.
    RonC and Inventory Full like this.
  7. Inventory Full

Inventory Full New Member

Wow, gorgeous! That is the coloration I am excited to see slowly blooming. Mine is probably about 3/4 to an inch and I have started feeding one a week after I read a post on here and realized I was overfeeding them. Anxious parent here trying to keep them fed and happy.

I have a moss section with my slings for a little extra moisture and they seem to appreciate it as they hang out on top of it most of the time.

That blue one is beautiful, I was looking at c. cyaneopubescens because I love the coloration but I'm holding off for the time being. I'll get the experience with my brachys.
    RonC likes this.