• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma auratum v Grammostola pulchripes

hopeful_tarantula

3 Year Member
Hi there,

I've been researching about the Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) and during my searches, I have come across the Brachypelma auratum (Mexican Flame Knee) and I am now stuck between the two. My parents have seen both and are quite happy with either...still waiting for the right time before I am allowed to get one though.

I am kinda swerving towards the Brachypelma auratum, as it's quite a bit smaller than the Grammostola pulchripes and the colours are really striking.

What are your opinions on both of these tarantulas please?

Julia x

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there,

I've been researching about the Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) and during my searches, I have come across the Brachypelma auratum (Mexican Flame Knee) and I am now stuck between the two. My parents have seen both and are quite happy with either...still waiting for the right time before I am allowed to get one though.

I am kinda swerving towards the Brachypelma auratum, as it's quite a bit smaller than the Grammostola pulchripes and the colours are really striking.

What are your opinions on both of these tarantulas please?

Julia x

Hello

Either one of the two would be a great addition, I'd say go with your heart. The Brachypelma in question,Is truly a beautiful specimen as is the Chaco. So it's a catch 22,flip a coin haha.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The size diff is very minor. It depends on what you want.
The Auratum is not advisable for handling as they're typically pretty skittish, they're also much rarer and much more expensive.
if you're new, go with the pulchripes, big, hardy slow, gorgeous.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I would go with the Chaco Golden Knee. They tend to have a mellow temperament, grow a little faster, and are hardy. Not that the flame knee is a bad choice, it's a close second when choosing between the two. Whatever you choose, enjoy! It also good to see a future T owner doing research before buying.