• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma auratum ground

mediapac

Hello spider friends
My question, I have the ground with desert sand mixed with potting soil so I saw it on YouTube where the species lives
Is this good?
3713689C-2AEB-4FB2-AE8C-E1C4AE41417B.jpeg
D93CB790-386D-46E2-8657-D8F5878EEB22.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sands not bad for tarantulas but with the wrong mixture it could lead to problems. You could be basically making concrete, that could cause booklung and anus problems. You need to watch the silt, ash and clay levels. Test a small amount with water and see if it gets pasty.

Looks as if you have too much head room in your enclosure. A Brachypelma auratum should be in a low profile enclosure.
20210427_183840.jpg

Don't forget the water dish either. They need to drink invtge desert.
20211026_161405.jpg

mediapac

The height of the enclosure should be 1.5 times the diagonal legspan of the t, as if it climbs and slips and falls, the abdomen can rupture, which is not good, especially with all the hard objects in the enclosure.
That is clear to me have spiders for 10 years only no auratum. You can just tell me more earth in then I am closer to the sky

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is clear to me have spiders for 10 years only no auratum. You can just tell me more earth in then I am closer to the sky
You can't get enough substrate because of the ventilation and door height. Your not the first that has tried. I use to try to make it work myself but it was always a mess, especially with a Brachypelma bulldozer.

mediapac

I'm a little surprised that you see it that way 12" 12" 12" is suddenly too high for a spider? Then all the others are wrong for decades that hold in 12" 12" 12" also 99% here in the forum?

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm a little surprised that you see it that way 12" 12" 12" is suddenly too high for a spider? Then all the others are wrong for decades that hold in 12" 12" 12" also 99% here in the forum?
Only suggestions.
Most keepers in this Forum only think of the well-being and safety of T's. We don't want to come off as any way but helpful.
Any spider should be kept in a way that minimizes any risk of danger, just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean that it never will.
That's why someone would suggest to reduce the height from substrate to the top of the enclosure. Safety :T:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Did not mean it badly sorry, just felt attacked because I try so much that they are doing well:(:T:
Best intentions aside, the "rule of thumb" of sizing enclosures often errs on the side of safety. 1.5-2x free climbing height the DLS (diagonal leg span) of the T is recommended to prevent injury from a high fall - as is removing the screen from the lid and replacing with perforated plexiglass.

You don't need to do any of these things, but we recommend them for folks to ultimately choose what they want to do.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These are only suggestions. You can keep it in what ever you want. Brachypelma aren't that agile and definitely not good climbers. Chances are you probably still have that arboreal mesh screen too.
I have had to help people with tarantulas that got caught on said lid and fell 8" onto water dish, dead.