• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

black spot-what is it?

marya1962

3 Year Member
My rose haired has recently come up with a medium-sized black spot on her back. I am concerned what it is and if I need to treat it. The rest of her is pinkish-brown hair with a bronze body. She spends a lot of time pressed up against a under tank heat pad, could this cause a burn? She has a tank in which she burrows, chases prey (she is very voracious), etc. Her humidity is 50%. She has access to clean, fresh water daily. Could she be getting ready to shed?

AngelOtter

3 Year Member
I wouldn't use a heat pad because it can cook your T.
A picture would help, it's hard to tell without one. She may be about to shed, sometimes they get bald-ish dark spots on their abdomens when they are getting ready to molt.

marya1962

3 Year Member
It turned out to be a pre-moult spot. She moulted two days ago with a silk bed and web and everything. I was so excited! P.S. I will take the tank heater off. I just feel so sorry that it is so cold in the house for her. It is 60 degrees or a little above.

Jake (Cascade)

3 Year Member
But 60 degree is not that cold, when you temperatures drops to or below 50degrees (I take it degrees is also Fahrenheit?) then you really need to worry about a heating pad.
Don't have to take the heater off Just remove the heater from the bottom of the tank and attach it to the one side of the enclosure and your spider will be happy chappy

marya1962

3 Year Member
I made it sound like it was under the tank, didn't I? The UTH is actually attached to the backside of the aquarium, definitely on the side of the tank. She isn't too close to it as much anymore, but stays nearby. As soon as it gets in the 70's, I'll disconnect it completely. But she is definitelty post-shed and currently engaged in putting up a bunch of webbing.