• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best soil for my ~1 year old pink toe Lucy?

spidysoph

I accidentally put a bit too much water in her enclosure and now the soil is molding (this happens with my plants sometimes too because I overwater them, ugh.) The soil I was using was just what the person at the reptile store I got her from recommended and I do not remember what kind of soil it was specifically, but I have heard there are better options. I am also very interested in getting some real plants for her enclosure but I have absolutely no clue how that would work with watering, would they have to be air plants or something? Are real plants any better than the ugly fake plants for tarantulas? Furthermore, any tips on what to do with Lucy while cleaning out her enclosure?

Thank you all! You have all been so helpful in my acclimation to owning my first tarantula! I appreciate all the support :)

-Sophie & Lucy

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pink toes dont need soil...so you can use pretty much anything, coco fiber, topsoil, sand or gravel. Stay away from pine or cedar bark products though. I use top soul or coco fiber. Depending on the enclosure I use 2" or so. As for plants I use fake plants...go to a craft store and buy them. Plants there will be more realistic then the pet store foliage. Fake plants are easy to wash off the spider poo and reuse again. Just put her in a deli cup with a lid while you clean out her enclosure.
20191112_130752.jpg
20200503_152122.jpg

Tboltguy1000

Use coco fiber, that's what I use for my tarantulas. Don't use wood chips or anything with potentially sharp edges though. As for the real plants, lots of people have done that and it's been fine, however it is possible that the plants could attract mites or other problem insects. I'd stick with the fake plants if I were you.