• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best food for your tarantulas

Rich Kaminski

3 Year Member
I was wondering the ideal food source for my spiders, crickets seem to be the staple, what are some other critters you guys are feeding? I have limited choices here, unless I drive miles and miles away. Plus my collection is 3 spiderlings, and 2 adults, so I really have no need to keep crickets here. Thanks for any input.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I was wondering the ideal food source for my spiders, crickets seem to be the staple, what are some other critters you guys are feeding? I have limited choices here, unless I drive miles and miles away. Plus my collection is 3 spiderlings, and 2 adults, so I really have no need to keep crickets here. Thanks for any input.
I do crickets and meal worms(for my smaller T's and slings). Gonna try some dubia roaches here soon.

Rich Kaminski

3 Year Member
I am not sure where to get mealworms, I would like some roaches. I guess I will try the big box pets shops, or a smaller pet shoped opened out by me , so maybe they will sell them.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I am not sure where to get mealworms, I would like some roaches. I guess I will try the big box pets shops, or a smaller pet shoped opened out by me , so maybe they will sell them.
The pet shop near me, carries meal and super worms, as well as crickets of all sizes... But no roaches, I'll have to order mine online... There's several roach dealers in Arizona, you could probably get ahold of Kenny about roaches :).

friendttyy

3 Year Member
Well I got these slings of Brachypelma albopilosum and i breed my own crickets . The crickets are easily bred and spawns are huge I think I need to give some away to our pet shop. AND I ALSO THINK KENNY HAS EVERYTHING.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I breed roaches: hiders, B dubia, and E distanti. I frequently sell overstock to LPS. Roaches are even easier than crickets, but if you have a system going with crux, stick with it.
As for what's the best feeder, roaches rank highest in studies of nutritional content as a feeder insect. But, the diet you offer your feeders is what makes all the difference. Well fed feeders are the best insect to feed your Ts, be it crux, roaches, locusts; meal worms are high in fat and not a good staple.
I use a mix of oatmeal and quality cat food available at all time. I supplement weekly with fresh fruits and veggies and repashy bug burger.

Rich Kaminski

3 Year Member
I just bought a dozen crickets, what would be good to toss in? I don't have any vat food, I do have oranges, carrots, dry dog, and cat food, christmas cookies,lol, thanks for helping me help my spiders....

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I give mine cucumbers, but mainly because I eat tons of cucumbers lol....I would try oranges do to the moisture content.

Atx13

3 Year Member
I just bought a dozen crickets, what would be good to toss in? I don't have any vat food, I do have oranges, carrots, dry dog, and cat food, christmas cookies,lol, thanks for helping me help my spiders....
I feed my crickets potatoes, lol...

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
our crickets have pellets in there pot when we get them we just have to supply water. I usually feed crickets but sometimes mealworm if any of the ts are looking skinny after moulting. I never ever use locusts as a friend had over sixty spiders die in a week and he was convinced it was from the locusts he had fed them as all the ones that survived had not eaten.

laMort

3 Year Member
I got a small spiderling today, and I have no idea what to feed it. Local petstores have only crickets/mealworms that are 10 times her size. They also sell small red worms for aquarium fish, do you think they would be okay to feed my spiderling with?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just chop up the bigger stuff. Babies are mostly scavengers in the wild, so they don't mind eating random bits.

Latest posts