• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Display Species?

aorsak

3 Year Member
If I wanted a very nice brightly colored T that doesn't need to be very docile since I don't plan on this being one I can hold, what would be the best one? Would it be a terrestrial or arboreal type? (Quite a fan of blue Ts ^.^)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just depends on what you like. The Poecilotheria metallica is a great blue display spider. I myself prefer large terrestrials like Pamphobeteus, Lasiodora, or Theraphosa. I'm also fond of Brachypelma, specifically B boehmei, a stunning spider. It just comes down to what spiders you like that don't tend to hide. Acanthoscuria geniculata and Nhandu chromatus are good choices, as well as one of many keepers favorites, the GBB. The prettiest arboreals in my opinion are A versicolor.

Wg25

3 Year Member
Definitely an A.geniculata....always in the open and awesome eaters. And like MassExodus says the B.boehmei is gorgeous and makes awesome display species! These are defenitly 2 of my favourite T's in my collection !

micheldied

3 Year Member
The Poecilotheria are large(they all get above 6 inches, and P. rufilata and P. ornata are huge) and very beautiful. However, they may not always be out and about. Some nice blue Ts that usually don't spend all their time hiding are Pterinopelma sazimai, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, and many of the Avicularia.

Ts in general aren't very good show animals though, as they are naturally pretty reclusive. The most showy species are usually New World terrestrials, although you can never tell for sure until you have the spider in your care.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It really depends on what species you have experience with, and if you'd prefer a terrestrial or an arboreal.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are a lot of blue Ts out there, just not sure about display status though. :)