• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner

izzp99

I wanted to ask for any recommended beginner tarantulas, I've done some research and there's a lot of different opinions on this topic. I currently have a curly hair and a brazilian black sling since they seem to be presented as quite docile tarantulas, although my curly hair has a bit of an attitude which I don't mint too much

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It might be easier if you say what you are looking for in terms of tarantulas, besides beginner. One that builds webs, arboreal, grows fast, specific colors. Some may not be available where you are while others may be easier to find where you are versus the US.

Enn49 is right. Ultimately it is up to your desire and ability.

If you have narrowed it down already, maybe list those and any questions you may have.

Also Ts can have different “personalities” even within the same species.

izzp99

It might be easier if you say what you are looking for in terms of tarantulas, besides beginner. One that builds webs, arboreal, grows fast, specific colors. Some may not be available where you are while others may be easier to find where you are versus the US.

Enn49 is right. Ultimately it is up to your desire and ability.

If you have narrowed it down already, maybe list those and any questions you may have.

Also Ts can have different “personalities” even within the same species.
I was thinking about something quite docile, possibly with some colour/ pattern, and something that grows at a steady pace

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum , Brachypelma species have nice colour pattern and docile , but can be hair kickers .Tliltocatl species are not as colourful are also docile .

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum & the hobby.

Every tarantula is different. A species of tarantula that is said to be placid & calm, can be defensive & stroppy in some cases. And a species which is known to be defensive is also capable of producing some T's which are kittens.

If you want colour then look at Brachypelma's. But also don't discount Aphonopelma's. And look at Lasiodora Parahybana, these grow to large sizes, I have one who is close to 9 inches & she has a lovely temperament. Grammostola's are not colourful, but they are beautiful looking & have lovely temperaments.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome. Many slings or juveniles will be spastic or give a little attitude. This is because they are small and trying to survive. They don't know your friendly. Once they mature they'll gain confidence and be more laid back.

It's this little guy so scary....lol
20200215_215736.jpg
20200215_215618.jpg

My recommendation would be Grammostola rosea. This girl here is over 20 years old and still beautiful.
20220215_195804.jpg
20220215_195532.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G. pulchripes is what I’d recommend. Many are mellow, but remember temperament will vary. They are black with gold markings on the legs. While they aren’t the fastest growing species, they do seem to have a medium growth rate like a T. albopilosus. They also grow quite large.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So izzp99,

Have you narrowed the search down? I really believe that part of the fun in this hobby is researching the various tarantulas available.

izzp99

So izzp99,

Have you narrowed the search down? I really believe that part of the fun in this hobby is researching the various tarantulas

So izzp99,

Have you narrowed the search down? I really believe that part of the fun in this hobby is researching the various tarantulas available.
I've narrowed it down to the G. pulchripes A. geniculata C. versicolor. They're all so beautiful its so difficult to choose

middy74

Welcome mate I'm new to this hobby my little g pulchripes is a very calm little guy if that is useful to you I do have some a geniculata from small juvi to large juvi some are nervous some are totally calm.
Enjoy what you pick.

Oredhel

I was thinking about something quite docile, possibly with some colour/ pattern, and something that grows at a steady pace
Hello and welcome! I'm also a beginner and i'm starting with a T albopilosum, a Grammostola pulchripes and a Brachypelma boehmei. I bought the slings about four months ago and they are growing very much faster than i expected for what i've read about those Ts (maybe is the temperature, here in Argentina is summer rn, like around 30° C). But three of them are moulting like once a month since i have them. (i'm saying this because the slow growth rate is always mentioned as a drawback)
My G pulchripes has some attitude since the last molt, but nothing to worry about. (I guess she is always trying to eat something. Either roaches or my brush XD). She is also moving the substrate all the time but is always out at the open, very good display T so far.
The Brachypelma boehmei has been quite docile until now. I've read they can be skittish, but so far when i open the enclosure for feeding she just go for the roach and the first rehouse when i bought her was pretty easy as well.
I would recommend those two. =)

Oredhel

Hello and welcome! I'm also a beginner and i'm starting with a T albopilosum, a Grammostola pulchripes and a Brachypelma boehmei. I bought the slings about four months ago and they are growing very much faster than i expected for what i've read about those Ts (maybe is the temperature, here in Argentina is summer rn, like around 30° C). But three of them are moulting like once a month since i have them. (i'm saying this because the slow growth rate is always mentioned as a drawback)
My G pulchripes has some attitude since the last molt, but nothing to worry about. (I guess she is always trying to eat something. Either roaches or my brush XD). She is also moving the substrate all the time but is always out at the open, very good display T so far.
The Brachypelma boehmei has been quite docile until now. I've read they can be skittish, but so far when i open the enclosure for feeding she just go for the roach and the first rehouse when i bought her was pretty easy as well.
I would recommend those two. =)
Edit: I'm also adding an Avicularia (or Caribena, depends on what i can find to buy first) and a Lasiodora parahybana. Maybe you should check those as well.

lonertopaz

I've narrowed it down to the G. pulchripes A. geniculata C. versicolor. They're all so beautiful its so difficult to choose
I love my g. pulchripes. If you go with the C. versicolor definitely make sure there is enough ventilation. If one thing has been drilled into my head it’s avic’s and versi’s need ample ventilation. In hindsight I feel like that’s why I lost my a. avic as he was in one of those exo terra tanks.

Latest posts