• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bad news

rénee

3 Year Member
So, I recently came across a T that I want, which is the avicularia purpea, BUT where I live we have very strict rules as to what types of animals are allowed here, so unfortunately the avicularia purpea is illegal.. I don't even really understand why, I am trying to look into if I can get one shipped to a nearby province even and make the drive but that will cause so much stress for the T, especially since I want to get from a sling. The only T ' s that are legal here are; Chilean Rose (Grammostola rosea), Mexican Red-Knee (Brachypelma smithi) and Pink-Toed (Avicularia), now correct me if I'm wrong but even though avicularia purpea is part of the avicularia group I'm assuming it's still illegal, it seems they are pretty precise here....

Anyways, I am looking into getting another T in the next little while, where is a good place to purchase from, how does the process work, and what are some tips and pointers people may have for prepping a new sling :)

Of course I will be doing way more research this time around during but just curious as to how well getting a sling shipped to you works. P.S I live in canada.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you don't mind me asking, which province do you live in? I had no idea some provinces had such strict and specific laws for which Ts you can own. Wow.

I'm in the US, but a friend of mine from Canada buys many of her Ts from Dawn at Tangled in Webs and some from Tarantula Canada. I'm sure some of our friends from up north will chime in about where they buy from.

As for how to prepare, first do you research before you buy. It sounds obvious, but a lot of folks hit the buy button, then hit the boards to ask how to care for the spider they just ordered.

I would also encourage you to have your enclosure(s) completely set up before the tarantula arrives. That means have all of the components you will need (substrate, water dish, plants, cork/wood) and the enclosure set up and ready to go. If you're missing something or don't have have an appropriate enclosure, most dealers will have no problem holding your order for shipping until you're ready.

If you use coco fiber for substrate, and you have to re-hydrate it, please remember to dry it out if you're buying a species that likes dry sub. This can easily be done by baking it on low heat in the oven. Or, if you think way ahead, you can leave the coco uncovered to dry it out. I hear a lot of folks who put their brand new G. porteri tarantulas on wet coco because they didn't think to dry it out first.

Sometimes, you'll receive a spider that is smaller/larger than what you were expecting, and you'll have prepared an inappropriately sized enclosure for your new acquisition. If possible, I try to have something smaller and larger ready, just in case (just something to think about).

And, if you get something in and inevitably have questions, you have an entire board of friendly folks here to ask for help! :)

rénee

3 Year Member
I live in Manitoba, and ya I checked out both those sites, I'm just afraid that I order something that is illegal and I get fined, don't get to have the T and all these problems.. especially with shipping, I'm not sure if they go checking the packages, or if I can contact the provider and get them to put a fake name, not sure yet haha, just really sucks that we are only allowed 3

Oh yes of course I will do my research and set up everything first, and I would have a small enclosure for slightly and then up size when required! I learnt my lesson about not impulse buying and not doing enough research lol!