• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.Smithi humidity too high?

hoen.diheart

I know smithi needs around 60-70% humidity and I've struggling to get it around there(it's at 78% rn when prior it was 85%) I've kept it around the ac. I've switched substrate, was reptisoil now coco fiber(which helped out a lot). I'm at a lose here and was wondering if anything bad will happen it's kept around that humidity. I believe my little guy is sling perhaps juvenile. It's no bigger then a quarter with it's legs out.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How do you know what the humidity is? Are you using something that gives a reliable reading or something aimed at the hobby? I had several of those hobby thermometers & hygrometers. I placed them in my lounge & every one of them had a different reading. They are totally unreliable.

Money spent on things like hygrometers, is money wasted. What is the humidity level in your home & your local environment? My weather station says it's 73% outdoors & 63% indoors. And I just switched my dehumidifier on & that says it's 68% indoors. :rolleyes:

Concentrate on the substrate. Get that right & the environment will be right.

60 to 70% humidity sounds fine. Looking at my local (BBC) weather report, that says my current outdoor humidity is 67% & here in the UK, that is around average. So even without substrate, water bowl etc. My humidity is always going to be around that 60 - 70% that you are seeing & my T's do fine.

hoen.diheart

How do you know what the humidity is? Are you using something that gives a reliable reading or something aimed at the hobby? I had several of those hobby thermometers & hygrometers. I placed them in my lounge & every one of them had a different reading. They are totally unreliable.

Money spent on things like hygrometers, is money wasted. What is the humidity level in your home & your local environment? My weather station says it's 73% outdoors & 63% indoors. And I just switched my dehumidifier on & that says it's 68% indoors. :rolleyes:

Concentrate on the substrate. Get that right & the environment will be right.

60 to 70% humidity sounds fine. Looking at my local (BBC) weather report, that says my current outdoor humidity is 67% & here in the UK, that is around average. So even without substrate, water bowl etc. My humidity is always going to be around that 60 - 70% that you are seeing & my T's do fine.so

hoen.diheart

So I did get a hydrometer and it came with two, I've had people tell me they are mostly unreliable before. I did do some experiments to be sure and they seem rather consistent(placed them in different places and switched them to be sure they stay consistent).
As for the substrate I already made the change and figured out too much substrate creates more humidity. I'm asking is 78% still too much? Or is it fine for now?

Lentulus

3 Year Member
Could you post a picture of your container? That would allow people to see if anything looks off.

And generally speaking, worrying about some specific humidity range is wasted energy. In the wild, they live in holes in the ground. No one is measuring the humidity down there.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know smithi needs around 60-70% humidity and I've struggling to get it around there(it's at 78% rn when prior it was 85%) I've kept it around the ac. I've switched substrate, was reptisoil now coco fiber(which helped out a lot). I'm at a lose here and was wondering if anything bad will happen it's kept around that humidity. I believe my little guy is sling perhaps juvenile. It's no bigger then a quarter with it's legs out.
Ignore humidity numbers and those gauges, they are all junk and creates unnecessary stress for newer keepers. Keep them dry and offer a water dish. Overflow the water dish every now and then. Contrary to what you might read on caresheets, hear from pet stores and even YouTube videos, tarantulas are much easier to raise than many would think.