• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. boehmi

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a juvenile female Brachypelma boehmi that is about 2.5 to 3 inches, she molted a month and a half ago and only ate 5 crickets since then. I just went to feed her a large cricket tonight and she refused it after not eating after 9 days. She has refused feedings before and then accepted them a day later. Has anyone experienced a small appetite with their boehmi? I appreciate the feedback!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not experienced it with a bohemi myself( as I don't own one) but refusing food is very common. It doesn't always mean premoult. My Campestratus is larger but very rarely eats . 9 days is nothing to worry about. Just make sure it has water

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not experienced it with a bohemi myself( as I don't own one) but refusing food is very common. It doesn't always mean premoult. My Campestratus is larger but very rarely eats . 9 days is nothing to worry about. Just make sure it has water
Thank you my friend for your reply! I overflow her water dish and being that she likes the substrate on the dry side I just lightly mist a corner every 5 days and always am sure her water dish is full. I used to have a Chilean rose back in the day and they are known for their extended fasting, I have heard the same from many E campestratus owners as well. The previous owner of my boehmi used to give her dubia roaches consistently so I'm making a switch to roaches for her and see if she responds more to that. If that doesn't work I may change up her husbandry as this one may be making her anxious. Will keep you posted.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a juvenile female Brachypelma boehmi that is about 2.5 to 3 inches, she molted a month and a half ago and only ate 5 crickets since then. I just went to feed her a large cricket tonight and she refused it after not eating after 9 days. She has refused feedings before and then accepted them a day later. Has anyone experienced a small appetite with their boehmi? I appreciate the feedback!
I feed my Brachypelmas every three weeks for this reason. I hardly ever see them fast or refuse food anymore. If they do I know that a molt is coming up. Dont ever think its cruel not to feed your spiders weekly. They are built to go long periods without food. In the wild it may sit at its burrow entrance for months waiting for a meal. Over the years of raising tarantulas I find the longer I wait to feed them the healthier they are. The fasting and refusing food is a thing of the past for me.
Alot of new hobbiest feed their spiders constantly trying to get them to grow faster. This leads to forums packed with threads about why my spider wont eat. Spiders are optimistic eaters...of coarse their going to eat if their not stuffed yet.
Try the slow feeding method and see if it helps out. Dont forget the water though...;)

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I feed my Brachypelmas every three weeks for this reason. I hardly ever see them fast or refuse food anymore. If they do I know that a molt is coming up. Dont ever think its cruel not to feed your spiders weekly. They are built to go long periods without food. In the wild it may sit at its burrow entrance for months waiting for a meal. Over the years of raising tarantulas I find the longer I wait to feed them the healthier they are. The fasting and refusing food is a thing of the past for me.
Alot of new hobbiest feed their spiders constantly trying to get them to grow faster. This leads to forums packed with threads about why my spider wont eat. Spiders are optimistic eaters...of coarse their going to eat if their not stuffed yet.
Try the slow feeding method and see if it helps out. Dont forget the water though...;)
Thank you so much for the info my dude! I hear you on that, I have been a keeper for over 11 years and yes I agree that it extends their life to not "power feed" them. I have an A moderatum that I feed once every 2-3 weeks and she will only eat 2 crickets at a time, then she shuts herself in her hide for 2 months, molts, and then reappears lol. I know boehmi like it on the dry side as I keep her water dish overflowed at all times and lightly mist the corner of her enclosure once in a while, if the substrate is too wet she tries to climb on the sides of the enclosure. I have 4 Brachypelmas; hamorii, boehmi, albopilosum, verdezi, and they all have voracious appetites, but my boehmi is picky lol. That is the challenge I love about T keeping, every genus and species has their eating habits, personalities, husbandry needs, differing from one another, I have learned quite a bit and still have much to learn :) I am going to give my boehmi a Madagascar hissing roach and see if she is just be finicky, this one may have expensive taste :D. Thank you Kenny you're very helpful here in the forum I appreciate you!

Latest posts