• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Won’t Eat - Running Away From Food

OculusLondres

There is no positive update as of now.

I didn't see her eat yet, but I saw her drink. I also sprayed the cage a bit and saw her sitting on the water drops so I assumed she drank. I also see a whitish poop-like drips, so I assume body processes work.

I put 5 crickets there and I see one dead, one is alive, I do not see the rest, maybe they alive, or maybe some was eaten? I put a camera with motion detection in the outer cage so I could see the movements and I wasn't able to spot any eating. I saw she has something on her fangs, like a puke, not sure if it was piece of cricket or something else.

I am going to drop more crickets today so I she has more chances of one coming closer to her and maybe she'll eat. She looks weak though, I really hope she'll eat and get better.

OculusLondres

Wait till next week and then drop a single spry cricket into the webbing

Will do! The thing is - she's mostly out of her web tunnel. After she molted, she doesn't go back, that's why I though that small camera would be a good idea as it could actually catch her moves. I saw her only once there but next day she was out.

I also noticed some weird movements like she's biting tips of her feet, or doing 'flossing'. I saw my juvenile doing the same but it's fine and just ate a huge cricket unlike my adult.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avics will often redecorate, tear down webbing, but they will always have a connection to their creations. A cricket struggling in webbing pulls attention if the T is hungry.

Just document your efforts

Leepbby

There is no positive update as of now.

I didn't see her eat yet, but I saw her drink. I also sprayed the cage a bit and saw her sitting on the water drops so I assumed she drank. I also see a whitish poop-like drips, so I assume body processes work.

I put 5 crickets there and I see one dead, one is alive, I do not see the rest, maybe they alive, or maybe some was eaten? I put a camera with motion detection in the outer cage so I could see the movements and I wasn't able to spot any eating. I saw she has something on her fangs, like a puke, not sure if it was piece of cricket or something else.

I am going to drop more crickets today so I she has more chances of one coming closer to her and maybe she'll eat. She looks weak though, I really hope she'll eat and get better.
I have to ask are you sure this is a female I only ask because looking at the feeding video it almost appeared that I could see tibial hooks which maybe it was just the lighting but if your T does indeed have tibial hooks and has matured out it could be an entirely different reason as to why your T is not eating but again it could have been the lighting so just a question?

OculusLondres

I have to ask are you sure this is a female I only ask because looking at the feeding video it almost appeared that I could see tibial hooks which maybe it was just the lighting but if your T does indeed have tibial hooks and has matured out it could be an entirely different reason as to why your T is not eating but again it could have been the lighting so just a question?
I like to think it’s a girl, I didn’t sex and have no idea, but I do have the last molt saved!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like to think it’s a girl, I didn’t sex and have no idea, but I do have the last molt saved!
I just rewatched the video based on @Leepbby suggestion and I see what she is seeing. You appear to have a mature male there, which explains the wandering and not eating.

Nice catch @Leepbby

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mature males have one goal in life: Find a mate and hit it. They often don't eat or drink for weeks or months.

He should be viable for 3-4 months, so I would find a keeper with an AF A avicularia that is within 6 mo's of her last molt and send him over to flower her garden (if you get my drift)

OculusLondres

Mature males have one goal in life: Find a mate and hit it. They often don't eat or drink for weeks or months.

He should be viable for 3-4 months, so I would find a keeper with an AF A avicularia that is within 6 mo's of her last molt and send him over to flower her garden (if you get my drift)

I guess if that’s the case you’re definitely right. Should I confirm it’s a male, or it is 100% one? Is it normal for males not to eat if they don’t ‘reproduce’? By sending him over do you mean I should be ready to say bye-bye to him completely…? Is it a better idea to buy a female myself instead of sending? (E.g. I’d never send my cat/dog to someone)

Leepbby

Oh wow, I thought you can only do that with the molt by checking a flap! But what this suppose to mean? E.g. good/bad any specific steps I should take?
I'm sorry that you weren't aware ... I have a similar situation my A. metallica is a mature male and will no longer eat the most you can do other than finding someone with an Adult female is to keep him hydrated as much as possible and keep trying to offer him food though it may be very doubtful at this point that he will take it. Mine will only drink at this point and he's been this way for the last 3-4 months now and is slowing way down. good luck...

OculusLondres

I'm sorry that you weren't aware ... I have a similar situation my A. metallica is a mature male and will no longer eat the most you can do other than finding someone with an Adult female is to keep him hydrated as much as possible and keep trying to offer him food though it may be very doubtful at this point that he will take it. Mine will only drink at this point and he's been this way for the last 3-4 months now and is slowing way down. good luck...

oh, so, he’s ready to die unless he’s mated which is also going to be deadly for him?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The chances of you buying a female to pair with your MM is meme quality comedy, no offense
Laughing Tom Cruise 23072019075601.jpg

Ship him off on a breeding loan, he most likely won't get eaten, and make a deal with the owner of the female for half the sac of she produces from a successful pairing.

If you keep him properly he can live a year or more whether you pair him or not.

Leepbby

Oh wow, I thought you can only do that with the molt by checking a flap! But what this suppose to mean? E.g. good/bad any specific steps I should take?
These are tibial hooks on a MM Avicularia so you know what we are talking about also the males pedipalps are engorged to look like boxing gloves also seen in this picture

Attachments

• 20211027_225814.jpg
    20211027_225814.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts