• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic Metallica Habitat Question

mrotsliah

3 Year Member
I have a screen with a door on the side of my aquarium (see picture below). I took a piece of plexiglass and cut out a square for the door to try to keep humidity in the aquarium. I noticed some white stuff on some of the wood. I wasn't sure if it was mold growing or webbing. So I watched it for awhile to see if it spread. I poked it with my finger today, and it wiped off pretty easily. So I took out the plexiglass so that there is just the screen. The humidity in my house is about 74% right now. I don't have AC or anything. ;_; Maybe the plexiglass was making it too humid for this time of year. Methinks I might need the plexiglass come winter.

Do I need to do anything else right now, or should I just watch the wood to make sure that more mold doesn't grow and what is there goes away?

Thanks.

2014-08-03 14.06.26.jpg

mrotsliah

3 Year Member
The smaller wood was outside for a long time and had dried out already. I don't see any white stuff on those pieces.

The larger piece was one that came from a tree that was recently cut down; it still has some moisture in it. It is this piece that has the little bit of mold on it.

None of it has been treated in anyway. Is there anything I can do to the wood to treat it? Do I just have to let it sit out in the sun for awhile? I'm afraid of using chemicals that seal the wood.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was really just curious as I have purchased treated spiderwood from retailers. They are supposed to be okay with both reptile enclosures and even tropical aquariums. But, sure enough, the part of the wood touching the substrate absorbs moisture and I get mold. I suspect naturally collected wood would be worse unless it is truly "dead" and dried out for years?

mrotsliah

3 Year Member
I have a sad update for my Avic Metallica; it passed away. ;_; I know that I had to keep the humidity around 70% to 80%, but during this winter, my house had a humidity around 20% to 30%. I poured water into the bottom of the tank (which ran out onto the floor and messed up the floor) and I misted the tank when I could. But with the house so dry, the mist wore off so fast. So I think the spider died from lack of humidity. I tried to close the tank up to keep in the humidity, but it didn't help.

Strange, I just check the hygrometer right now and it says 81%, but of course the heat lamp has been off for over a week. Perhaps the heat lamp has caused a dryer tank. ?? Without the heat lamp, wouldn't the tank be too cold for the T? I keep my house around 65 degrees.

I am wondering what people do during the winter when their house is so dry and you have a T that needs such high humidity.

Thanks

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I live in the midwest and have the same problem with humidity in the winter. My room average is right around 30% with the humidifier. This requires more misting/watering than Spring Summer. If you are using a heat lamp, that is even worse. There are other heat options that would work better including heat tapes, pads (read other threads on the proper installation and sizes to ensure your T does not overheat) and whole room heaters. The heat lamps are extreme and will dry out any tank very quickly. I use them on my desert tanks where temps are closer to 85-90 in the species native environment but use timers to only run for a few hours per day. Would not recommend them at all for a P. metallica. Sorry for your loss.

Poec54

3 Year Member
That cage is a major problem. There's almost no micro climate with one side wide open. They need ventilation but that's overkill. You need a better cage for Avics.

mrotsliah

3 Year Member
Ar there pre-built such cages? What would someone use that would give the needed ventilation? Would I just need to build my own out of plexiglass and drill holes in the side myself?

Poec54

3 Year Member
Ar there pre-built such cages? What would someone use that would give the needed ventilation? Would I just need to build my own out of plexiglass and drill holes in the side myself?

Depends on how much you want to spend. Since most people don't understand tarantula's needs, especially Avics, there's not many proper pre-made cages for them. Screen tops are a poor idea, as they also ruin the microclimate. Although terrestrials are the biggest offenders, some arboreals also chew thru screen and escape. I use clear plastic storage boxes for all my tarantulas, including Avics. I can easily put holes in sides for cross ventilation. they're not as clear a glass though. Down side to glass is the weight, and being able to make air holes.

Do you have terrestrials now? Most are much more tolerant of different cage conditions than Avics. You might want to stick with terrestrials for the time being.

mrotsliah

3 Year Member
All I have right now is a G. Rosea, which I have had since 2004. The Avic was my first attempt at another T. I knew of the humidity and ventilation requirement, but I didn't think I would have that hard of a time with it. I have been thinking that if I try another T, I would probably stick with a terrestrial. I just have to choose which one. Thanks

Latest posts