• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Australian Pie-Dish Beetles

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought 8 of these beetles from a friend on the weekend, they'll be here tomorrow if there's no delays.
They're a type of Darkling Beetle so care should be pretty easy.
I could set them up the same as mealworms I think, even use them as mealworms for feeding but I think I'll go with a more natural set-up.
From what I've read the majority of species occur in arid environments but these have been collected in a mesic area so I'll use a coco peat based substrate rather than sand.
I've read that it's a good idea to mix leaf litter and decaying wood through the substrate, but also that the worms will eat food placed on the surface. If I do mix leaf litter in substrate I think I'll keep it to one corner. I'm pretty sure it'll mould if there's much moisture so I'll keep it to one area. I'm pretty sure putting carrots and other fruit and veg directly onto the substrate in combination with a leaf litter and area would be fine for raising what are essentially mealworms.
Photos to come, but here's the photo from the advert. Credits to Michael Radley (I'm guessing)
ad_1548346705529.jpg

Updates to follow!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought 8 of these beetles from a friend on the weekend, they'll be here tomorrow if there's no delays.
They're a type of Darkling Beetle so care should be pretty easy.
I could set them up the same as mealworms I think, even use them as mealworms for feeding but I think I'll go with a more natural set-up.
From what I've read the majority of species occur in arid environments but these have been collected in a mesic area so I'll use a coco peat based substrate rather than sand.
I've read that it's a good idea to mix leaf litter and decaying wood through the substrate, but also that the worms will eat food placed on the surface. If I do mix leaf litter in substrate I think I'll keep it to one corner. I'm pretty sure it'll mould if there's much moisture so I'll keep it to one area. I'm pretty sure putting carrots and other fruit and veg directly onto the substrate in combination with a leaf litter and area would be fine for raising what are essentially mealworms.
Photos to come, but here's the photo from the advert. Credits to Michael Radley (I'm guessing)View attachment 35074
Updates to follow!
cool looking beetles:) is this species of the ****roach family? only ask as the obvious similarity in body type but also as you describe the care,housing and substrate all sound the same as you would keep some ****roaches ?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
cool looking beetles:) is this species of the ****roach family? only ask as the obvious similarity in body type but also as you describe the care,housing and substrate all sound the same as you would keep some ****roaches ?
No, not related to ****roaches, they're a species of Darkling Beetle, in the same family as mealworms and superworms.
I've had three die though but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, the guy I got them from told me everything sounds good and he doesn't put as much effort in and has no problems. Apart from veggies he feeds them fungi and moss, which I have done but perhaps they are not suitable species to substitute for the species in his area.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Beautiful beetles, I’ve never seen them before but oh no.. I’m really sorry to hear you had fatalities.
Stunning beetles, I’m beetle insect bug crazy! I paint them and have kept Meccynorhina and have Platymerus bugs at the moment.
Very envious, best of luck with the remaining ones. I hope you get them breeding. How big are they? Darkling sized?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Beautiful beetles, I’ve never seen them before but oh no.. I’m really sorry to hear you had fatalities.
Stunning beetles, I’m beetle insect bug crazy! I paint them and have kept Meccynorhina and have Platymerus bugs at the moment.
Very envious, best of luck with the remaining ones. I hope you get them breeding. How big are they? Darkling sized?
They are about 2cm long.
I hope to breed them, usually it's the "grubs" that can be fussy about food from what I read, not the beetles so there could be other factors involved. The deaths were really too soon after they arrived to be a food issue imo.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Cool beetles. We have darkling beetles all over the place here. We call this species "stink bugs" because if you mess with them they release a very strong smelling "musk". My daughter can tell males from females at a glance now.

Good luck with yours. Keep us posted on the progress. Hope the rest make it and breed for you.

Latest posts