• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Australian champagne robustus tarantula

DZTRBD

3 Year Member
Hi guys, I've just purchased an adult champagne robustus. Just wondering what is the best way to keep this little unit happy? Temperature of enclosure.. Feeding etc? I've attached a photo of my enclosure and her.. Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 403
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 410

Connor

3 Year Member
I've had a champagne robustus for just over 3 years now and honestly I do have to say it has been a very slow growing process, in saying that though, when I got my robustus it was so young that it was still transparent and I'd have to kill its prey.
Although I've never professionally had it sexed I do believe it is a female, and recently coming across more threads like these ones I've learned a little bit more about them then just "it's a bird eating spider." If I'm right and my tarantula is female it could live up to 15 years with an average lifespan of a female champagne robustus 8-12 yrs and males roughly around 5-6 in captivity.
They are known as old world tarantulas, so my guess is they've been around for quite a long time.
Handling has been done before however there has been no bite to a human from this species of tarantula, and it is therefore not really recommended. It is presumably as toxic as most other tarantulas, however the champagne robustus has been linked to several dog and cat deaths all within 20 - 30 minutes of the bite; if the size of the fangs don't put you off I'm sure that will! Haha.
Personally I keep my spider in a relatively warm enclosure just above room temperature. Ideally I try and keep this humid, and spray the enclosure with a mist once or twice a week. Sphagnum moss helps to maintain the humidity. I currently have given my spider a fish tank log ornament which it has nested in and drawn silk trap lines from its entry all across the floor of the enclosure. It is not too deep and she doesn't have room to burrow, partly because last time I had her in a deep tank she would often burrow down and not come up for days, and with how little she was I often worried she wasn't alive or that I'd accidentally killed her cause the temperature was off, etc... (she's my first tarantula I've owned), so I've decided to wait for her to grow a little bigger before I put her into a deeper tank to burrow again.
I feed her a diet mostly consisting of crickets. You need to be very careful with taking in incescts from your back yard, if it had come in contact with your next door neighbours pesticides, you could have yourself a very sick little friend. I have tried using woodies before but they just burrow away. She usually eats 1 - 4 crickets a fortnight. Any wastage or unkilled prey should be removed as soon as the second feed is offered. Don't worry if they don't eat often, in my experience they are slow growing spiders.
I'd like to think that my spider has kinda recognised my face, she appears to run away from strangers if she's in their line of sight but is happy to chill out with me and have a drink of water when I spray the mist droplets into her enclosure.
Although she may go days and weeks without eating or drinking, even months without molting, she really is a little warrior.
As far as it goes I've never had to worry about temperature too much, last winter was particularly cold and it appeared as though she was hibernating most of it, wrapping herself in layers of her web like a caccoon blanket, so rest assured they are self sufficient in the cold, but be careful it doesn't get too hot, in saying that though, they do originate in north Australia, tropical qld and the nt etc do get rather hot so you have to place them in an oven to really do any damage.
Personally one recommendation;
Do not let them go out in an open room such as lounge room or bedroom, they are extremely fast runners. I accidentally had mine escape when she was around 1 year of age, it took me 4 hours to catch her.

Latest posts