• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Attack of the mould

Gizalba

3 Year Member
My Phormictopus sp dominican purple Aurora has been buried in here for the last 2 1/2 months. Therefore I am unsure what to do about this mould situation :/ I have already tried removing it but it has grown back and seems to be attached to the cork bark. Would it be best to remove the cork bark and hope that she is burrowed deeper than that so I don't disturb any moulting process?

Sorry it's not a great photo, I can take another if need be. There are lots of ventilation holes in the lid by the way.

wqefr.JPG

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Spot clean and add more ventilation...thats all you need to do.

Thanks. How do I add more ventilation with the T still in there though? Is it safe to solder iron holes in and will the fumes not hurt her? As when I try to use a pin in the side of that type of plastic it tends to split.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks. How do I add more ventilation with the T still in there though? Is it safe to solder iron holes in and will the fumes not hurt her? As when I try to use a pin in the side of that type of plastic it tends to split.
Drop a wet rag/paper towels inside the enclosure so she is covered. Then add a bunch more holes.

m0lsx

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

If that is a small vile, with a small sling in it, then don't use a soldering iron. The holes will be far too big & you could, thus, loose your sling.

For small viles I use a pin held in a pair of pliers. I then heat the pin on one of my cookers electric rings & make the holes one by one that way.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
If that is a small vile, with a small sling in it, then don't use a soldering iron. The holes will be far too big & you could, thus, loose your sling.

For small viles I use a pin held in a pair of pliers. I then heat the pin on one of my cookers electric rings & make the holes one by one that way.

Hi, thanks. No it isn't a small vial, although the picture doesn't show that well. It is a 32oz deli cup, and she was about an inch big (leg span) when I last saw her. Thanks for the tip for vials though!

Volkswachter

If I need to add holes while the tarantula is in their bottle/cup/house/etc; I use an ice pick to gently hollow out a hole, it doesn't leave shavings like a drill, it punctures leaving no mess in the enclosure. Food for thought.
A pointy steak knife would probably also achieve the same results, poke it in, give it a wiggle until the hole is the size you want it, bingo bango; hole. This is also handy as the hole is tapered, smaller on the inside, wider on the outside so even small slings can't escape from the hole, yet it can still catch and channel air into the enclosure.

G300

My Phormictopus sp dominican purple Aurora has been buried in here for the last 2 1/2 months. Therefore I am unsure what to do about this mould situation :/ I have already tried removing it but it has grown back and seems to be attached to the cork bark. Would it be best to remove the cork bark and hope that she is burrowed deeper than that so I don't disturb any moulting process?

Sorry it's not a great photo, I can take another if need be. There are lots of ventilation holes in the lid by the way.

View attachment 52973
Try replacing the moss you have there with live Moss and lots of springtails won't mould as easily if at all and have another cup prepped and ready and swap your T over as soon as it comes out I always have small holes just above the substrate and at the top of the cup all the way around also holes in the lid for full air circulation I'll try and post a pic later

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Soldering iron will the a pin tip on hottest setting. Don't push it in all the way.

I know, that's what she said

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Soldering iron will the a pin tip on hottest setting. Don't push it in all the way.

I know, that's what she said

Lol.

Thanks, haven't got round to adding holes to this enclosure yet as I've only just got my soldering iron and have been practising :p Will try this.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi
moving spiders in premoult is not an issue. Disturbing them during actual moult process is.
Regards Konstantin

Thanks, yeah the thing is when she is hidden I have no way of knowing if she in pre-moult or actually moulting. So I won't be moving her until she appears.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
I understand the point you are making to avoid disturbing tarantulas nearing a moult but
iminent moult(heavy premoult) or just premoult are two different things.Premoult may last months.I have 7 tarantulas that have refused food for over 60 days but they are out and about that tells me they are in premoult but Im sure they wont moult any time soon as their skin where I can see is still pink(tan) in colour and judging by previous moult cycles data I have of the spiders.. There is no harm to move tarantula in that state.I have quite few tarantulas moulting successfully days after I received them in the post.
OP situation is different as his has burrowed and closed shop so he can't know whats up untill it makes reappearance unfortunately ,so I advised him to wait it out and even give it a meal or two before moving it.
Mould while a nuisance is not something that OP should panic about anyway.Its harmless to the tarantula and is easily avoided by improving ventilation and maybe being a bit more careful with substrate moisture levels
Regards Konstantin