• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any Wolf Spider Experts Out There?

pilgrim

3 Year Member
I found this mama when I was bringing up our recycling bins this afternoon...she tumbled out of one and seemed hurt or stunned on the pavement. I put her in a jar enclosure and she's been fun to watch. I think (hope) she and her babies will be ok.

I'm a newb to tarantulas and spiders in general, so keeping that in mind I tried to figure out what kind of wolf spider or grass spider she is. I live in S. Carolina so I'm thinking Hogna Carolinensis? If she is, she is a young/small one because it sounds like they get big
3ADA6AB6-C515-4946-84D1-387D50AB90D9.JPG
. Any experts out there? She's beautiful whatever she is.

39A79646-BBF3-48AF-9DAE-45E01FC10BE4.JPG
787568A3-2E98-4889-BF21-D09FE8217257.JPG

MBullock

3 Year Member
Oh wow those look so similar to Hogna Carolinensis, how do you tell the difference? Is it her small size?
the best way is by examining the underside markings. im very familiar with schizocosa so i can generally ID them from dorsal habitus alone. smaller size is also a good way- schizocosa- with the exception of the massive S. maxima (which reaches the same size as carolinensis), are generally no larger than 2" in legspan, and the females often have very similar abdominal markings. carapace shape is another good way to tell them apart- in schizocosa the cephalothorax appears to be flush with the caput (eye-turret), whereas in hogna, the cephalothorax bulges more behind the caput, having a disc-like shape.

pilgrim

3 Year Member
the best way is by examining the underside markings. im very familiar with schizocosa so i can generally ID them from dorsal habitus alone. smaller size is also a good way- schizocosa- with the exception of the massive S. maxima (which reaches the same size as carolinensis), are generally no larger than 2" in legspan, and the females often have very similar abdominal markings. carapace shape is another good way to tell them apart- in schizocosa the cephalothorax appears to be flush with the caput (eye-turret), whereas in hogna, the cephalothorax bulges more behind the caput, having a disc-like shape.

Thank you!!

Latest posts