• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any must read articles for us Newbs?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I purchased The Tarantula Keepers guide, Tarantulas and other arachnids and Tarantula Care.
Watch videos and read what I can find, But, most of you have been doing this quite some time so,
are there any MUST READ articles/vids out there that I or other new keepers need to take a look at?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tend to read whatever I come across in relation to tarantulas. Mostly though I just research what I'm going to buy. For instance, I was fixing to buy a P nigricolor, then started reading about the species, only to discover that it's undescribed, or there's some confusion among the brains about what species is the "true" nigricolor. Apparently there's a hobby form, and a "true" form, and now I'm reading the true form might not be correctly described either. I wanted to breed them so I was going to purchase a female, now I'm thinking I'm going to stay away from the nigricolor until the confusion is cleared up, or the species is accurately described. I'll be reading about the other Pamphos as well, because I'm interested in the genus and want to know if this is a genus wide lack of accurate descriptions or just a few species.. No sense paying Pampho prices until it's clear to me what exactly I'm buying..So I guess my answer is basically anything that increases your knowledge on them is must read material, even if you're like me and have difficulty wading through taxonomy descriptions, which are dry and filled with words I have to look up repeatedly :) I know that's not what you're looking for but it seemed relevant to the topic :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Makes perfect sense, and I appreciate the reply.
Honestly trying to read-watch-learn, and I am enjoying my little slings so much.
In example (this shows my ignorance) I had no idea that they groomed their entire body.
I assumed they cleaned their mouth parts, but not all over.
At first I was searching all over with a mini flashlight to make sure
nothing was wrong, examined them and their enclosure (I had been reading about mites)
Then realized the T was perfectly content and simply taking a spider bath of sorts.
Spent an enjoyable time watching that ....
then a not so enjoyable couple hours looking for information about it.
Probably unimportant, but so interesting.
I don't expect to ever be an expert. But I do want to give them the best living conditions
that I can and know enough not to make foolish mistakes.
I was hoping there might be some little known or hard to find information out there is all, ^.^

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Makes perfect sense, and I appreciate the reply.
Honestly trying to read-watch-learn, and I am enjoying my little slings so much.
In example (this shows my ignorance) I had no idea that they groomed their entire body.
I assumed they cleaned their mouth parts, but not all over.
At first I was searching all over with a mini flashlight to make sure
nothing was wrong, examined them and their enclosure (I had been reading about mites)
Then realized the T was perfectly content and simply taking a spider bath of sorts.
Spent an enjoyable time watching that ....
then a not so enjoyable couple hours looking for information about it.
Probably unimportant, but so interesting.
I don't expect to ever be an expert. But I do want to give them the best living conditions
that I can and know enough not to make foolish mistakes.
I was hoping there might be some little known or hard to find information out there is all, ^.^
Lol I remember the first time I witnessed that, I freaked out as well:eek: I thought something was seriously wrong:D If I were you I'd read up on nematodes, mites, and especially bacteria, that would be useful info to know, and please share if you find anything important or interesting, I'm always looking to learn more. I've been searching bacteria issues lately..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Will do, I'm always searching for more info. In hopes that I might not need it but at least I'll have some clue as to whats happening :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Encountered this in one of my readings

""Tarantulas and Other Arachnids" by Sam Marshall,
"Keeping and Breeding Tarantulas in Captivity" by Ronald Baxter, Andreas Tinter's "Tarantulas Today"
Stanley and Marguerite Schultz's "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide".
Subscribe to: WEBBINGS Invertebrate Magazine. (contact: (941) 275-9757, email: [email protected])
Join the Southwest Florida Tarantula Society (SWFTS) contact: (941) 275-9757, email: [email protected], and the British Tarantula Society (BTS) to obtain the bi-monthly newsletter, The Journal."

Hope this is useful info.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@RedCapTrio thank you :)
Don't have keeping and breeding yet, have the guide and T's and other arachnids. Have to find that one and tarantulas today. Slowly getting a library here ^^
Going to check subscription rate on that mag as well ^.~