• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any advice on dog flea medication & T owner in same environment ?

Oogabooga

3 Year Member
Hello! I have a very important question and I know this also might make me sound like a total noob. My boyfriend has tarantulas and I am a supporter and lover of T's as well.... I also have a dog and we live in a apartment- is it safe to use a flea medication (kills adult & larva) on my dog? I don't want to do anything to hurt them. Also, the dog has no contact with the T-room. I am in need of some advice!! Please! Am I over reacting or is this a legitimate threat!?!

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I would say it should be fine as long as you take the standard precautions for yourself with the medication (ie washing your hands thoroughly and not getting any on your clothes). The medication itself is not supposed to get on your skin or clothing for risk of contamination. As long as none is on you or your boyfriend, what is intended anyway, you should be fine.
I personally use the new tablet that is a flea, tick and heart worm preventative. I hate having chemicals around the house and my dogs despise the liquid flea meds. That pill is also much more convenient and costs about the same as the flea meds with the added benefit of preventing heart worms.

Just my two cents :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am currently needing to treat my cats with Revolution, and since one of them is notorious for sitting on the shelf and checking out the spider enclosures I will be making sure to keep the room closed off for awhile (just in case). But like the others have said, make sure you wash your hands, and as long as the dog isn't really near the T's it's probably fine! :)