• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

An Update on my first OBT Sling

foritxxar

3 Year Member
This is a picture I took immediately after:

Opening the tuppaware to mist it, unaware Obi had webbed it's burrow to the lid.
Watching as it exploded out of it's hide towards the wall, up the wall, and nearly down the other side.
Desperately trying to keep it from escaping with a paintbrush.
Even more desperately trying to get it off the paintbrush and back into the enclosure without hurting it or it hurting me.
Getting it on a napkin and letting it casually walk back into the tuppaware (I seemed to calm down when it felt satisfied with my desperation).

I've heard stories of how crazy OBT's can be, but woah. I was unprepared. Any tips from those with experience?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415906080973.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415906080973.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
A good hide helps tremendously. Bury a piece of bark so that it makes a little over hang and it should start tunneling underneath and once it does it will be much less likely to bolt and will just run into its hide.

foritxxar

3 Year Member
You can't see it very well but the hide is attached to the web, under the dirt. He ran out because it had attached the hide to the roof, which lifted it right up when I took the lid off. I managed to attach the web to the rim with some success so hopefully he doesn't re-web the lid and hide together.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Well hopefully once it settles down more you'll be it'll stop webbing up the lid. You could try just cracking the lid enough to drop a feeder in if he does.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Aren't they fun? :)

I agree with MatthewM1; if they have a good hide and feel secure, most will retreat when their enclosures are disturbed. They will web, and they can unfortunately web the enclosure shut, which could obviously be a nightmare. Did you create a starter burrow for the little guy? I gave all three of mine starter burrows that they quickly took to. It might keep it from webbing up the top if he feels secure below.

Latest posts