• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alternative warming

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
Hey Everybody!

Winter time here in S.A n its getting rather cold.

i have 4 beautiful T's: Psalmopoeus irminia
Brachypelma smithi
Grammostola pulchripes
Lasiodora klugi

I am worried they are getting too cold as it gets rather cold in my house. Sometimes as cold as 18C.
I am in the process of creating a cabinet where i can place the T's in and put a warming carpet in to regulate the temperature.
Until then I have looked for alternative heating sources and ended up with placing a warm hot water bottle between the cages to provide some warmth for my T's, so each cage has a warm corner and the T's seem to like it as they hang around the warmth.

Is this method suitable as a temporary heating source until i can provide a more fitting heat source without spending money, or what else can you suggest. I've tried the heater, but I'm not satisfied as it gets too hot at times, thus been fatal. (i dont want that)

Please let me know of any ideas that you come across and any advice to solving this cold case.

Thanks

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A small space heater with an internal thermostat is the best option. They even make them rather safe these days. If you're concerned about a thermostat malfunction, you could add another one, and plug your heater into it. Double redundancy:) That and heat mats are the only methods I've used.