• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

After many years I finally got my first T

Nunua

3 Year Member
I've been wanting a T for a long time and planned to get a beginner-friendly Brachypelma from a good breeder. However, I went to our local pet store today and saw a lovely little A. geniculata and in the end I decided to take this supposed female with me. They told me that she's from Germany and born in 2017 so if everything goes fine, we should have several years together :D

I bought her some basic meal worms that she has been eating before as well. They said she had been fed on Friday, but I'm not sure if she has really eaten because there was two dead worms in her enclosure. I took them away after I got home, and try if she wants to eat later.

I know there are few uncertainties when buying Ts from pet stores, but I hope for the best :) Tomorrow she needs to tolerate an hour drive from my parents to my own place, moving to a new enclosure and after that she'll get her peace.

I have tried to study a lot and have long tongs, enclosure (20x20x20 cm exoterra for now, will get larger enclosure when she grows up), coconut fiber, hide and a small water dish. Have I forgotten something? :confused: I'm also well aware about the fact that A. geniculata may be skittish and has a strong feeding response. From the very beginning I have decided not to handle "my future Ts" anyway, so I hope we'll do fine together :rolleyes: I'll add photos tomorrow when I'm not on my phone anymore.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby. A. geniculate is a beautiful T and you should get to see plenty of her. Mine has never used her hide, preferring to sit on top of it.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the addiction, it sounds like you have everything. Once you post pictures we will know if the enclosure is appropriate for its size, if it was born last year like the pet store said, the enclosure may be a bit too big, but knowing how most pet stores operate, the enclosure may be adequate for the size (depending on tarantulas size).

Nunua

3 Year Member
Welcome to the addiction, it sounds like you have everything. Once you post pictures we will know if the enclosure is appropriate for its size, if it was born last year like the pet store said, the enclosure may be a bit too big, but knowing how most pet stores operate, the enclosure may be adequate for the size (depending on tarantulas size).
Thank you - I'm well aware about this being an addiction, haha!
Yeah, it may be that the enclosure is a tad too big for now. She was sold in 15.5x9.5 cm (measurements of the base) box, so I can first let her be in there and ask here if that's a bit better for her. I think her body lenght is now around 4cm, not completely sure about the leg span. Otherwise I can get her another box until she grows a bit, or see if I can block a part of an exoterra for now - Whatever is best for her, obviously. I don't want her to get stressed in a too big enclosure.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A. geniculata is a hearty spider. It will probably do well in your large enclosure. The big concern is that it is so tall—much better for an arboreal species. The fear is that the T will climb and fall. Falling 8 or 9cm into substrate won’t likely hurt it, but falling further can. She is already good size so the 20x20 portion of the enclosure is fine. Expect a voracious eater.
Welcome to the hobby!! Please tell us her name and send pics!!

Latest posts