• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

advice for my curly hair sling

Corey Boisse

3 Year Member
Im an amateur tarantula owner. Im new to this forum and join to clear up some things to be as prepared as possible. I have a very small Honduran Curly Hair Tarantula and there are some questions id like properly answered and not speculated or given an educated guess. My spiderling is 3/8 - 4/8 of an inch not including its leg span and he ate wax worms at first consistently, as i adjusted his diet trying to figure out the best food. I tried phoenix worms next but he didnt touch them and there was online speculation as to whether or not the calcium enriched food was bad for the spider, and he hasnt eaten. hes completely enclosed himself under the subtrate in a burrow he made that is really confined and i havent seen him come out since. Im not sure if this is an indication if he is ready to molt or not and would like to know so i dont waste time and money on trying to feed him. Also, on the surface of his subtrate there is spots of white fuzz that doesnt appear to look like typical mold so im not sure if its mold or his webbing. Id be more inclined to say it was his webbing but as i said he doesnt appear to ever come out of his burrow and looks to be in the same position as the day before. As much relevant info on this particular species is much appreciated.

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Photo's would help a lot. I also own a Curly hair. They are tough little guys. Mine also made a little burrow in the beginning but now he never does any more. Mine is about 2inch. You could always try feeding him a ****roach or cricket which wont burrow in the ground so you can see if he has eaten and if not after 24hours you can take the food out. When they are that small they molt a lot so it wont surprise me if he is getting ready for a new skin. Curly hairs are truly the easiest tarantula to raise in my opinion, I love mine to bits. :D

Last edited:

Corey Boisse

3 Year Member
Photo's would help a lot.
i would if possible but i dont have a high enough resolution camera to pick up the small relevant parts. my sling cant even be seen on the camera. He didnt seem interested in the crickets i left in there for a couple days. he also has a black spot on his abdomen which is said to be a sign he is molting. weirdly enough though ive had him for over a mont hand he hasnt molted once, even though he was supposed to have by now according to the breeder i got him from

Last edited: