• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for Grammostola pulchripes?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Creature soil with coco and a bit of spaghnum moss for decoration is what i am using for my first tarantula - a G. Pulchripes. She should be arriving later this morning, in about 6 hours. She is supposed to be 1 1/4". I will be setting her up in a 4 inch cube. A piece of cork bark partially buried should provide her with cover. And if she doesn't like the way i set ut up she can always change it. I've heard they can be quite the bulldozers.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So my 1-1/4 " juvenile Chaco arrived safely this morning ( hurray!) and she's in her 4x4x4 enclosure. After a brief tour of her place, including about 10 mins inside her hide - butt out - she's spent the last 90 minutes in an upper corner. Temp is 71 F. I plan on keeping an eye on her, but just wait it out.

Attachments

• 20210427_101345.jpg
    20210427_101345.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210427_101350.jpg
    20210427_101350.jpg
    969.6 KB · Views: 6

VarvatosVex

So my 1-1/4 " juvenile Chaco arrived safely this morning ( hurray!) and she's in her 4x4x4 enclosure. After a brief tour of her place, including about 10 mins inside her hide - butt out - she's spent the last 90 minutes in an upper corner. Temp is 71 F. I plan on keeping an eye on her, but just wait it out.
That's cool. That's a decent size for one. I could only find 1/2 inch slings. But I'm planning to take a trip to fearnot tarantulas actual store this summer in Virginia Beach maybe they will have more selection. Anyways. Congratulations on your new T. Hope all works out well.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, should i be worried now? She is still up on the wall of the enclosure and has not moved for at least an hour. Not one pedipalp. Could it be molting? Sleeping? Dead? Panic mode starting on my part. Did not want to touch her until I think it is safe.

Attachments

• 20210427_161513.jpg
    20210427_161513.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210427_161518.jpg
    20210427_161518.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, should i be worried now? She is still up on the wall of the enclosure and has not moved for at least an hour. Not one pedipalp. Could it be molting? Sleeping? Dead? Panic mode starting on my part. Did not want to touch her until I think it is safe.
It is completely fine, not moving probably not to fall. I would take it easy on the feeding, this one looks chubby enough :)

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lol. I put the enclosure down and went to write the above message - i was gone from it for 5 mins and she disappeared. Only place to go is in the hide and i see webbing in there but it is about 2 inches long so can't visually see her( no way for her to get out. Lid is magnetized.)

Gawd!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is completely fine, not moving probably not to fall. I would take it easy on the feeding, this one looks chubby enough :)
Thanks! Nervous first time T dad. Just got her today. Have not fed her. Her healthyness comes courtesy of Arachnoiden
Was going to try to feed her tomorrow or thursday, but may hold off.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks! Nervous first time T dad. Just got her today. Have not fed her. Her healthyness comes courtesy of Arachnoiden
Was going to try to feed her tomorrow or thursday, but may hold off.
Remember that this is a stressful time for your new T. Give it some time to acclimate and make itself home. My best advice is to give it a few days in peace. Just imagine if you are put in a new house and some grab the house and lift it up too often while you are inside? You are doing fine and obviously caring very much already for your baby. As time goes by you will be less and less worried, just hang in there ;)

Phobik1

3 Year Member
I picked up 3 G. Pulchripes slings a year ago. Once they grew out of their dram viles none of them have burrowed. They will move **** around alot. I use 100% Coco Fiber from bricks. Never had a problem w mold. They all fed on mealworm segments like they were goin outta style.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Remember that this is a stressful time for your new T. Give it some time to acclimate and make itself home. My best advice is to give it a few days in peace. Just imagine if you are put in a new house and some grab the house and lift it up too often while you are inside? You are doing fine and obviously caring very much already for your baby. As time goes by you will be less and less worried, just hang in there ;)
Thanks for the support!

timc

3 Year Member
New spiders (and old spiders for that matter) want, deserve, and need alone time. You won’t do it any good obsessing over it. Look from a distance for the next few days but otherwise, let it settle. She looks very plump and healthy, so as long as water is available, all should be well. Tarantulas are definitely a pet where “doing too much” can actually be a very bad thing for them.

Latest posts