• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. versicolor housing thoughts

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Being new to the hobby, and being a handy-gadget guy with MTS (multiple tarantula syndrome) I've already emotionally committed myself to acquiring an Avic; A. versicolor to be exact.

I found a candidate-enclosure on amazon.com, it measures 7" tall by about 5" x 5" and is hard clear plastic. I took the liberty of buying one already for the whopping sum of $2.99. It has now increased to $6.49 but still worth it.

My plan is to drill a series of holes in each of the 4 sides starting from the lid separation line downwards to about 1.5" from the bottom to create a ventilated enclosure. The lid area will remain unperforated to contain humidity.

I wonder how much ventilation should be created, ie, how many holes per panel and what size holes. Can anyone provide guidance?

No rush. I am considering a sling of about 1" in size, so it will be a while until this enclosure is needed.

Last edited:

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Nice looking containers.
I would start placing holes about 1" above the substrate level up to 1" from the top. 3 rows of 4, using a 3/32" bit since its for a 1" sling. Arboreals have a smaller body size (carapace) than a terrestrial. Best to err on smaller holes than go frantically searching for an escapee. [emoji4]

Ghost

3 Year Member
Nice looking containers.
I would start placing holes about 1" above the substrate level up to 1" from the top. 3 rows of 4, using a 3/32" bit since its for a 1" sling. Arboreals have a smaller body size (carapace) than a terrestrial. Best to err on smaller holes than go frantically searching for an escapee. [emoji4]
+1
I would go with this advice then set it up with everything in except the sling,then leave it for a couple of days to make sure you don't get any condensation in there.
Nice looking enclosure by the way although I don't think I'll be getting any for my slings as I just looked on amazon's UK site and there's a huge price difference you can have a look http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...splay+case&dpPl=1&dpID=419Gc6-njqL&ref=plSrch just take a deep breath before you click Lol....

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate the experience here!

3/32" holes seem fine to me (just a smidge under an .125") however after actually measuing the enclosure, it is a 4"x4" rectangle, 7.25" tall

The height from the base to the lid separation is 6". Assuming 1" of substrate, starting rows 1" above that, I have a 4"x4" area to make holes in each of the 4 sides. Below is an illustration of the hole plan, starting at 1" above the grey (substrate) running in even rows up to just under the lid separation. This leaves about 1.5" of space above the holes to the ceiling of the enclosure.
-WYp5AlE2-yKl5iAYT0E592vgV1pHNB6U2pk7RVPWZg=w340-h568-no

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't think I'll be getting any for my slings as I just looked on amazon's UK site and there's a huge price difference you can have a look http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001IJFKWA/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1437821536&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=figurine display case&dpPl=1&dpID=419Gc6-njqL&ref=plSrch just take a deep breath before you click Lol....

That's like $30 US for a crap plastic box - you Brits get $hit on at every turn, don't you...

The colonies will still have you, if you'll come ;)

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Here are 5 that I just finished for some 1-1/2" slings. Just recycled containers, cost me $2.50 for cork tube (halved and secured w/h screws), and 2 hours labor. [emoji28] Containers are 7-1/4" tall and 4-5/8' diameter.
Yes, they were made upside down for a reason. [emoji6]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437838862642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437838862642.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 41
  • uploadfromtaptalk1437838899143.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437838899143.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 38

Ghost

3 Year Member
That's like $30 US for a crap plastic box - you Brits get $hit on at every turn, don't you...

The colonies will still have you, if you'll come ;)

Yeah it's crazy prices over here it's like $36.86usd and $10.07usd for delivery of the same container that you can get for $6.50usd over there.

The colonies might just have to take me back some day as I still have a US passport even although I haven't lived there in 35 years.....

@Ghost Yes, I've been looking for some larger acrylic containers but the are very expensive in the UK. I think I'll have to persuade my son to make me some.

Yeah I'm going to start to build my own as well,I already have the arcylic just been busy with other things at the moment....

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here are 5 that I just finished for some 1-1/2" slings. Just recycled containers, cost me $2.50 for cork tube (halved and secured w/h screws), and 2 hours labor. [emoji28] Containers are 7-1/4" tall and 4-5/8' diameter.
Yes, they were made upside down for a reason. [emoji6]

Cool enclosures, nice work!

Are you concerned about screwing the "tops" off and wrecking any webs the slings might string between the cork bark and sides? What are your thoughts about opening the enclosures for maintenance?

Are the water containers sunken into the substrate? IIRC, you posted a pic a while back of a water container sitting on the substrate. I liked that, even though it's not aesthetically pleasing to some, because you can see the water level easily from a distance.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Quick question: is the enclosure I'm working with "too big" for a 1"-1.25" sling?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Cool enclosures, nice work!

Are you concerned about screwing the "tops" off and wrecking any webs the slings might string between the cork bark and sides? What are your thoughts about opening the enclosures for maintenance?

Are the water containers sunken into the substrate? IIRC, you posted a pic a while back of a water container sitting on the substrate. I liked that, even though it's not aesthetically pleasing to some, because you can see the water level easily from a distance.
Nope! The cork doesn't reach into the sub, so while removing the base the webbing isn't disturbed much, if at all.
Yes, the bottle cap is pressed in level with the sub so it doesn't get flipped when reattaching the base.
As for maintenance, 16" tweezers and a moist foam paint brush, in the early AM, do fine for me. If they attempt an escape, I simply set the enclosure on the bench top, and wait til they settle down and then complete the task..
No, I'm a firm believer in rehousing a T as few times as possible. Your size is fine, IMO, until it reaches 2"-2-1/2" then I'd rehouse. Don't worry, most arboreals are excellent hunters, they will take down prey as it roams about. I've witnessed my S.calceatums dive down and tackle prey. They're very aggressive hunters when hungry. Many believe arboreals have keener eyesight than their terrestrial counterparts. [emoji6]

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ah Therasoid, I see the wisdom and I'm sure I can easily modify my plan as follows
sjujtvCH9AIdkTljxeCieGRwhSnGA9ytpXG2mBPXMEU=w340-h568-no

Lest I search the google machine, where good source for this cork bark tube you speak of?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Ah Therasoid, I see the wisdom and I'm sure I can easily modify my plan as follows
sjujtvCH9AIdkTljxeCieGRwhSnGA9ytpXG2mBPXMEU=w340-h568-no

Lest I search the google machine, where good source for this cork bark tube you speak of?
Lol! Don't know about wisdom, but this setup has worked well for me in the past. Only reason I made these is the pokies need a bigger home now. Currently in 16 oz. containers and they're a bit cramped. I'll start building the final enclosures early next year.
Cork bark and tubes I get at the local exotic pet shop. While at last months reptile show there was a vendor selling cork tubes at super low prices. Bought 7 tubes nearly 16" long and averaged 2-1/2" dia. for $20. I know this doesn't help you, but couldn't resist bragging. [emoji6]
Btw, kind of thought you would flip yours if I posted a photo of mine. [emoji4] Arboreal species will usually run higher when startled big reason I don't use top opening enclosures.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't mind taking the advice of an experienced hobbiest. Thanks for the subtle nudge :D

I like that your container screws down to the base, its more secure than mine.

I'm thinking about weighting the base by glueing a 4" tile to the bottom.

And if I can't score some killer cork tubes I'll hot glue a slab against a wall or corner ;)

Cjh

3 Year Member
Reads well. Looks alright. Personally I don't know. I am one of those people who bought a pink toe at a pet store and had it live this long, so far. I don't know much about the sling raising. I think at that age they would be difficult to raise. I am no expert pink toe keeper. It all seems so easy, but, pet stores worth their salt don't carry slings I guess due to possible profit loss associated. How about orchids, starting one of those from seed is a fantastic adventure in clean, science and time spent. Getting slings online is real risky. The sites I have seen, kind of sketchy at best. Seriously, what if someone thought it was a pink toe and it turned out to be something very dangerous instead? Pink toes seem easy to identify as slings though. Since I am not an entomologist no slings for me. I wouldn't want to risk loosing my money with some of these sites, the majority of them selling slings. Pink toes are a valuable little spider in the scientific community right now, with what is known about them and the things being done with research on their venom. They are getting to be harder to find in the pet trade, but you only have to ask a manager at some of the bigger stores if they can order an adult, but they'd need a bigger enclosure of course. I know I want as much time with mine as possible, given their life span, so a sling is a great idea, but it would be a bad let down if it died. I hope it works out for you. Pink toes do explore some, but seem to like to stay to their web the most anyway.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics are very easy to find. Just go to any pet store that sells tarantulas and I guarantee that most of them will carry a few A.avics or A.metallica. I'm not sure where you got the idea that they're becoming harder to find.

Avicularia slings are a bit more fragile than most other species, but that is only because they require more specific conditions. Lots of cross-ventilation is vital for the survival of Avic slings.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I found a great local source of Ts right here on the forum, including many Avic species. Check out the thread Paul @ Pet Center USA under the vendor review section. Paul is awesome.

Regarding keeping an Avic, I'm used to specific care requirements of pets, I keep fish and aquatic inverts, so as long as the intel I'm getting is good. I'm fairly confident I can raise a sling to adulthood.

Cjh

3 Year Member
where I am getting the idea? Relax, take it with a little comedy. Where I am at, in location, they are hard to find and not always available. There was also an informative bit online that stated they are becoming harder to find. Then it goes on about the importance of captive raising. Which we can all agree is best for us and the environment. When one reads something they assume to be fact because of the source they obtained it they did not get the idea, they learned something. If one shops locally and out of the 4 total local pet shops none have an avi, the notice that they are harder to find is an opinion. An idea is a thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action. The original op had an idea he shared, elaborating on the the aim or purpose. Further defining idea. I shared an opinion. Cross ventilation, is described as inlets or outlets for cross ventilation, using wind. Natural ventilation is the process of supplying air and removing air without the use of mechanical systems. See the complex idea for simple holes drilled? Brilliance, yes. Orchids are a plant that constantly produce oxygen depending on the type, while most plants produce and also breathe oxygen. I have found that with the avic a higher oxygen concentration produced from plants and humidity works as well as ventilation, if not better, in my limited experience. Just don't go doing what I do. The op has shared a wonderful idea everyone can try with a sling and have success, that is what counts. Not everyone will have sucess with what I do. I am a hobbyist with the spider. One is my total collection. One is plenty for me. I am just sharing what I have done. I also got a phalenopsis orchid to live this way put out new leaves and sustain on an air root about a half inch for nearly a year without using non natural fertilizers, sticking to earthworm humus and exposed roots that had the "pulp" ( just what I am going to call it here it has a specific name, that is not pulp) stripped from them, with the plant on a dry grapevine in the spider habitat with warmth and humidity while my pink toe made a webbed home on it's biggest leaf amongst other orchids. Not many tarantula enthusiasts are going to do that because the idea is silly. We go by directions others publish in efforts to do what is known to work. I share what I have done, to say hey, this worked for me, basically to point out that there are ways to do things you might not realize while pointing out it is better for everyone to go with the standard, of course, to minimize risk of loss. But tarantula keeping goes well with orchid growing, in my opinion. I am in no way trying to influence anyone to do what I do, but if anyone also does what I do, great, you can understand my point is to find out what else there may be to try. Yes avi avi requires specific conditions. My 2 inch spider with a 1 and 1/2 inch leg length is still young. SO if it aggravated anyone I didn't have plans to share, I am just testing the waters on this site a bit, to see what kind of response I get, if they are harsh I will leave, if they are nice enough I will stay, I in no way am trying to upset anyone, in any way. If anything, please remember that. Not sure where I am getting the idea? I am not sure I fully understand the sentence in context and definition, I did try to answer. Did you know most of the Earth's oxygen comes from the sea? Isn't that something?

Last edited: