• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little question for a beginner

siuoll

3 Year Member
I was planning to buy this little guy over here but I was wondering what kind of food to feed her?

Thank you for answering guys
29060073_1574702485932550_1515813049745654492_o.jpg

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The main live foods are various roaches , crickets , mealworms and superworms, all these can be purchased from most pet shops in various sizes so you just need to find the right size. You can also offer pieces of freshly killed prey.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a nice little spider btw, I wouldn't be to say no!
Also, I must add that it's not a good idea to feed wild caught insects because there are risks such as disease, parasites , pesticides and introducing unwanted 'bugs' into your enclosure.

siuoll

3 Year Member
The main live foods are various roaches , crickets , mealworms and superworms, all these can be purchased from most pet shops in various sizes so you just need to find the right size. You can also offer pieces of freshly killed prey.
Okay, thanks bro. But what if this little guy doesn't eat freshly killed prey ? I heard from somebody that most b.hamorii or b.smithi doesn't eat freshly killed / dead prey

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay, thanks bro. But what if this little guy doesn't eat freshly killed prey ? I heard from somebody that most b.hamorii or b.smithi doesn't eat freshly killed / dead prey
Live is always better, you would only offer dead prey if you can't get live prey small enough.If you're lucky, they'll take it and youll get them to the moult and they'll be big enough for the live food, if not you just have to look harder for a suitable sized food. There's no guarantee they'll take it, but it's worth a try because it'll make life easier if they do.

NukaMedia Exotics

3 Year Member

For some of my slings they'll only eat dead prey sometimes, however it must be freshly killed. You can try dropping in a small dead prey item right in front of them to make sure they see it, they sometimes like it cut in half as well. For mealworms even if feeding them "live" crush their heads so that they don't burrow in the tarantula's enclosure, then drop them in and they'll still move around enough for the T.

Latest posts