• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A gigas African Giant Milipede

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
There is a species of mite that is symbiotic with this species of milipede. It lives on the pede and appears to clean between the legs and in all the cracks and crevices. So far these mites do not seem to thrive away from the pede, and pose no risk to other arthropods.
I have yet to see any of the small predatory mites in my enclosure, though it is still very new.

Yes, those are to be expected in AGBs. Kinda like the symbiotic mites the Madagascan hissing roaches have, they are harmless and don't seem to stress out their hosts. Grain/soil mites however, are a completely different story. :mad:

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
Very easy. If you can do isopods, you can do milipedes. The mistake most keepers make is keeping them too moist for too long. They need a dry season.
Oh, a dry season? I’m getting one in October, and I thought I read all the existing care sheets, what do I need to do for this dry season?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What about with scorpions and centipedes? I have mites in their cages pretty bad. I let them dry out, but the mites are always there. Will putting isopods in with them help get rid of the mites?

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
What about with scorpions and centipedes? I have mites in their cages pretty bad. I let them dry out, but the mites are always there. Will putting isopods in with them help get rid of the mites?
I don’t think isopoda help much with mites, you can buy predatory mites to to the job for you, they’re tiny red bugs that kill the mites and then kill each other, they work wonderfully for mites.

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
I totally love Millipedes. I have to ask- what substrate do you use?
I’ve heard coconut fibre works well, I have a tank set up and that’s what I’m using, I haven’t actually gotten a millipede yet so I don’t know how well it actually works.