• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few beginner questions

loe-kee

3 Year Member
Hello,
Im new to the Tarantula hobby. I was looking to purchase a few simple ones to begin with, I hear they are addicting.
At my local reptile shop they have a wide variety of tarantulas I was looking at the Female G. rosea and baby C. cyaneopubescens.
I like the rosea because it is already big and the cyaneopubescens I liked because of the color it turns into.
The guy working there showed me a cool baby G. pulchra, that one was a little out of my price range though.
I know tarantulas are supposed to be specimens with more looking and less touching, but how do the two mentioned above do with occasional handling?

I have a few ideas about enclosures in mind but had a few questions about them.
When making holes for ventilation how do I know how big/small to make them?
What is the recommended depth of substrate for the species mentioned above?
Thanks for any help

trailblazin02

3 Year Member
I'd say go for the gbb just cuz there so cool looking. They like it bone dry and web like crazy. I have 32 ts right now and don't handle any of them unless they run out during feeding or maintenance. As far as holes it depends on the size of the T. Obviously don't want them to big or it'll escape. Depth of substrate will vary depending on the enclosure you use. I have a picture posted of my Gbb Sling enclosure..it has about an inch of eco earth and an.inch of space to the lid

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Welcome to the hobby.
If I were you I would buy both. The G.Rosea is much more calm so if you want to you could handle her, as for the C. cyaneopubescens, it is a stunning show tarantula with the most beautiful colors. But I wouldn't handle the C. cyaneopubescens. I found mine to be fast and aggressive. Hope that helps. Enjou your tarantulas. :)

loe-kee

3 Year Member
I'd say go for the gbb just cuz there so cool looking. They like it bone dry and web like crazy. I have 32 ts right now and don't handle any of them unless they run out during feeding or maintenance. As far as holes it depends on the size of the T. Obviously don't want them to big or it'll escape. Depth of substrate will vary depending on the enclosure you use. I have a picture posted of my Gbb Sling enclosure..it has about an inch of eco earth and an.inch of space to the lid
Is there a certain part of the tarantula that I shouldnt make the hole bigger than?

Welcome to the hobby.
If I were you I would buy both. The G.Rosea is much more calm so if you want to you could handle her, as for the C. cyaneopubescens, it is a stunning show tarantula with the most beautiful colors. But I wouldn't handle the C. cyaneopubescens. I found mine to be fast and aggressive. Hope that helps. Enjou your tarantulas. :)
Thanks. I wasnt planning on handling them all the time, just the occasional "look at this beauty" show and tell type handling. I was not planning on handling the C. cyaneopubescens at all. The guy at the shop showed it to me and that little guy could move.

loe-kee

3 Year Member
So I bought both cant believe I just spent $100 on spiders. lol
The rosea is super mellow. I guess there was a kid that would go to the shop every day and handle her.
The cyaneopubescens is pretty skittish.
Ill try to post pictures soon.

Latest posts