• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. anax or A. hentzi aggressiveness?

Lady Arachnid

3 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone has either of these species that was aggressive? I have an adult female that is somewhat aggressive. She will threat pose and strike. I know these species should be docile and every tarantula has their own personality, but I was curious is there were others out there that have experienced aggressiveness from them? TIA!

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
As a general rule all tarantulas Even the most docile are capable of threat poses and striking. I have an a chalcodes(same spider but different colors) that has shown defensive behavior such as threat posturing and striking. And I believe that even though these species are generally docile. They are moody and can be mean at times.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you're talking the Aphonopelma my son's chalcodes is like that. But she forgets to threat pose. To do maintenance in her enclosure you have to put a catch cup over her (and not freak out like my son did when she struck at it and knocked it out of his hand) ;) or get her involved with the large makeup brush so she's attacking and watching it, then you can remove her water dish for cleaning or whatever needs done. She's in premolt now and is even more moody than she was before.

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
If you're talking the Aphonopelma my son's chalcodes is like that. But she forgets to threat pose. To do maintenance in her enclosure you have to put a catch cup over her (and not freak out like my son did when she struck at it and knocked it out of his hand) ;) or get her involved with the large makeup brush so she's attacking and watching it, then you can remove her water dish for cleaning or whatever needs done. She's in premolt now and is even more moody than she was before.
What did you do to make it hate you lol.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I

kormath..you bought KTBG's chalcodes?! That thing has killed 6 people..you didn't know? Ken had to have his arm amputated after being attacked by it..
figured it would prepare us for the OW species ;)

I used @Kymura idea and expanded on it. I have a 2ft pair of tongs with a small 13 gal. metal trashcan lid as a "crossguard" on the tongs to do maintenance with. ;)

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
I guess I got lucky with ktbg. Ours doesn't mind being handled on a rare occasion. I even punched/cup held it to show a friend it's fangs and didn't flare them at me.