• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

thermarooz

Hi all,

I have been caring for a 20+yr old rose hair at my university for the past couple years-- she is a "class pet" for the invertebrate zoology course. I'm rather fond of her even though she hates me. This past weekend (9-16) she molted as she does every year/every other year at this point, but the entirety of her carapace (prosoma/cephalothorax) is stuck. Everything else came off totally fine, does not seem the anus is blocked.

My concern now is how to get that cap off if I should at all. She can't see (not that they can see all that well to begin with) and she won't eat because of it, too skittish. I don't want to rip it off because I don't know how stuck it is and really don't want to rip her open, but I don't know if it will dry out and fall off?

tl;dr stuck molt and I would like advice on how to get it off or not get it off

Thanks so much!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The best way is to use a moistened cotton bud or soft brush and try to stroke it off. Another way is to moisten it , hold it with tweezers and let her walk away leaving you holding the old moult.

Heretic

If someone is skilled enough to pinch hold her you can peel it off if she has hardened up. Just go slow. If the underside isnt off then her mouth and stomach isnt either, so there is no way she can live a year like that.

CallieW311

Hi all,

I have been caring for a 20+yr old rose hair at my university for the past couple years-- she is a "class pet" for the invertebrate zoology course. I'm rather fond of her even though she hates me. This past weekend (9-16) she molted as she does every year/every other year at this point, but the entirety of her carapace (prosoma/cephalothorax) is stuck. Everything else came off totally fine, does not seem the anus is blocked.

My concern now is how to get that cap off if I should at all. She can't see (not that they can see all that well to begin with) and she won't eat because of it, too skittish. I don't want to rip it off because I don't know how stuck it is and really don't want to rip her open, but I don't know if it will dry out and fall off?

tl;dr stuck molt and I would like advice on how to get it off or not get it off

Thanks so much!
Did you end up getting it off?

Latest posts