• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

20 year old T. Vagans

kingtwistedkidd

I have a T. Vagans that I bought matured in 2011. I know that owner never paired it, but I don't remember them telling me how old it was or if they owned it as a sling. My best guess would be that she is around 20 years old. She still is big, beautiful, and full of life on the defense. It's sad to know she may not be around much longer, so I've thought about pairing her. Just getting back into the hobby, I have no idea if it's a wise or humane decision to pair a tarantula that old. If she would even be receptive to the idea. I have the opportunity to get a MM that molt 2 months ago and apparently made its last sperm web two weeks ago. I wasn't sure if it was worth a shot. Especially knowing the last time I paired her was 2013 with a Male of mine I had as a sling. She failed to close her sack completely and all the eggs had spilled out. I never tried again with her and never planned to. She's one of my favorite new world eaters that I've owned, and I'd love to keep a few of her offsprings if I have the chance. Was hoping for suggestions on the idea, or maybe any tips.

GarField000

3 Year Member
I have no idea on age and how long you can do it ... they probarbly will let you know if you put the male in :) ..... I do understand why you would do it.
Before you do it (if you do) ... see if you can find people taking the slings for a small price so you don't get stuck with 500 little T.vagans :D. That's a lot off work every week :) ....

I for myself would not put her through that. I would just buy 2 or 3 very small sling and bring those up.
But I understand that you want slings from her ....

kingtwistedkidd

I have no idea on age and how long you can do it ... they probarbly will let you know if you put the male in :) ..... I do understand why you would do it.
Before you do it (if you do) ... see if you can find people taking the slings for a small price so you don't get stuck with 500 little T.vagans :D. That's a lot off work every week :) ....

I for myself would not put her through that. I would just buy 2 or 3 very small sling and bring those up.
But I understand that you want slings from her ....
Haha you're not wrong. If it wasnt for my tongs, she would made a meal out of the first male.

You're on point again. I guess I liked the idea of having a couple of her descendants. Plus the idea of having a little cash to help support a few of my next buys didn't sound half bad. Might not be the best species to go with though, and might be more work than it's worth. Plus it's probably best too let her enjoy her final years in peace. Maybe it's best I reevaluate.

GarField000

3 Year Member
It's all up to you ofcourse. You can get a bit cash if you can sell in bulk. Otherwise it will be hard to sell them off because you have only one. People are not going to pay package for a $5 sling. So if you can talk to breeders and can sell most off them off you can try. But if i'm going to buy a spider it's not just one. I alway buy a few if you have to sent for sure. And if I want a T.vagans every breeder will have one so I can add it. Many first timers take a vagans, but more often than not it's a bit bigger than a small sling ..

I for my self am not breeding. I would love to .. but I don't have to time to feed them every week (i have 100 T's, 36 snakes and other hobbies :D). I do want to breed with my G.iheringi but I know 2 breeders that would buy all off them if I succeed. I also love, love, love A.geniculata. I have 1.1.2 (so one male, one female, one juvi, one sling). When the sling is getting bigger I get a new sling lol. I would love to breed them and keep 10 or 20. But I will get hundreds and it's highly available in my country and every breeder has different sizes. So I just keep buying slings when it turns juvi I get a new sling :D>