• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 Legs Lost

CC_123409

So my Chaco Golden Knee was bought by us with 2 missing legs but we didn't notice until recently. After calling the petstore, they assures us the legs would grow back after a couple of molts, usable buy smaller. I believed that and other owners saying it was no big deal, but I recently went to another pet store and the owner there said that tarantulas won't grow back limbs. Are there any experienced tarantula owners that know which side is true? And an update on my Golden Knee, she still hasn't eaten since Dec. 20th and we are starting to get worries again, as its been nearly 2 months. What is the longest tarantulas can/will go without eating in a pre molt or is this abnormal behaviour at this point? For anyone who hasn't replied to my previous thread, she is a sling about 1 1/4 inch in leg span. Also a sidenote, the enclosure is maybe a foot and a half by a foot so I think that it is way to big for her but my dad insists, even though I disagree. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Photos of which legs are missing would be helpful. Yes they will grow them back. If it's the pedipalps it may have a hard time grabbing its food...in this case you would have to prekill the prey item. Going 2 months without eating isnt too long but for a sling I may worry a little. Tank size for slings should be small so its easier to catch its prey. 6×6 enclosure would be the max I'd go for your sling. Try to get some pics up so we can see what's missing.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
2" sling in a deli cup enclosure...perfect size for a sling.
20190127_114751.jpg

CC_123409

Photos of which legs are missing would be helpful. Yes they will grow them back. If it's the pedipalps it may have a hard time grabbing its food...in this case you would have to prekill the prey item. Going 2 months without eating isnt too long but for a sling I may worry a little. Tank size for slings should be small so its easier to catch its prey. 6×6 enclosure would be the max I'd go for your sling. Try to get some pics up so we can see what's missing.

The mandibles aren't missing and it is 2 of the front legs. Also, is it identifiable as a certain sex at this point? I've been hoping it's a female.

Attachments

• 20181208_110220.jpg
    20181208_110220.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 81

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The mandibles aren't missing and it is 2 of the front legs. Also, is it identifiable as a certain sex at this point? I've been hoping it's a female.
It looks like it would be able to hunt just fine. However it looks very well fed so that's probably why it's not eating. It is probably going to molt in the near future. Make sure it's got a water dish to drink from. As for sexing it's rather small to ventral sex from a photo. If you get a good molt it can be done under magnification.

CC_123409

It looks like it would be able to hunt just fine. However it looks very well fed so that's probably why it's not eating. It is probably going to molt in the near future. Make sure it's got a water dish to drink from. As for sexing it's rather small to ventral sex from a photo. If you get a good molt it can be done under magnification.

That picture was actually from about a month and a half ago, since I didn't want to disturb her to take a newer picture. However, I found her roaming around today so thinking she was hunting, I offered her a superworm. She just let it squirm under her and what looks like bite her before she moved away, back to her den. I tried tong feeding first but after that didn't work, I slightly injured it and let it loose near her with a very close eye on it. I also have a cricket and ****roach, also smaller than her so should I try offering those next time?

RonC

3 Year Member
Ts can go for we consider long periods without eating. Their metabolism is designed for it. Some of my slings have gone 2 months without eating. I hear of others that have gone much longer than that. My Chaco rarely will miss a meal though. I wouldn't worry too much. Try again next week. Mine just decided to come out yesterday after being in its burrow since October. It's burrow wasn't completely sealed so it did eat during that time. It left me a window in the burrow so I just kept up with it's molting and didn't feed it then or if it looked too plump. Molted at least twice over the winter. Came out twice the size it went in. First pic October and second pic yesterday
IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_20190224_161451113 (2).jpg

Luna

3 Year Member
Yeah, don't let her battle scars discourage you! That's actually how my girl got her name; she was in the midst of regrowing a leg when I purchased her! I can't pick out the one that's regrown anymore:)

Latest posts