• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

19 months ago....

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Bea-na, one of my G. porteri, had a molt.
This morning she left this, measures just over 4", and is holding up in her hide for now. Not too bad for an 8 y.o. girl. Yes, a slow growing species but live a long life.[emoji4]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1435874310592.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1435874310592.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 40

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Wow...19 months! My G. roseas are both about that size. Now, I see I may have a whiiiiiiiiiile to go until they molt. :)
Once they get around the 4-5" mark, molts are spaced out longer. My oldest (Na-na), 20+ years, is just under 6" and last molt was 17 months ago and is showing no signs of pre molt whatsoever. Bea-na is the youngest at 8. Eunice is the oldest G. rosea nearly 19 y.o.and 5 1/2", gained maybe 1/8" about a year ago and no signs of pre molt either.
I get more excited when one of these 7 girls molt than any other species I have. Not joking either, size increase in mine is only, and this is generous, about 1/4" each molt. Slow growing, live long and I love mine. [emoji4]

PamCz

3 Year Member
Yes, indeed...loooong lived. (Yay!) It's just nice to now have a ballpark idea of the molting "schedule" I'm working with here...for the longer-lived T's. I had no idea, so didn't know what to expect... :)...thanks.

Edit to add: no idea how old mine are...just purchased them both within the last few months.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Right on... I will keep track and see how long it takes between molts. 22 months -- I can definitely see how you could raise up a whole other species before your G. rosea molts...lol For that matter, I bet some males, power-fed and kept warm, could be born and get to MM in less time than it takes between G. rosea molts. ;-)

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Out and about today. Got a quick picture then she headed back into the hide. Lol!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437008032292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437008032292.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 18

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Nope its a G. porteri, this phone takes terrible pictures. Picture doesn't do justice to her new coat. I really should invest in a decent camera someday. [emoji17]

PamCz

3 Year Member
LOL... Have you tried putting her tank in some sunlight, maybe in front of a window, for a minute or two for some pics? That might work. My phone is pretty much crapola for pics -- an iphone 6, no less! When it gets low light, it takes pics with stripes on it -- like an old fashioned TV that's not tuned correctly. Nice. :rolleyes: Whatta POS.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
@PamCz, moved her enclosure under the low wattage light in the T room, phone flash activated causing the blue hue. I think. Lol!

Latest posts