• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 months of owning an OBT

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I bought my first ever T at the beginning of March 2014. My son already had 2 Ts so I had got used to them being in the house although I have always been terrified of spiders, I thought it would help me get over that fear. I searched a few of the decent shops online and eventually settled on an OBT. I read as much info on them as I could find including bite reports but, having experienced many snake bites including a wet bite from a Hognose and a false water cobra, I felt that as I wasn’t going to handle, I would be fine.
I chose a juvi female to begin with. The day she arrived I was so excited and thrilled at this beautiful, bright orange furry creature and got her into her new home without mishap. For the first month and a half she was out and about most of the time.

4th March 2014

She began making her web in the top corner of the ExoTerra viv that was her home, gradually working her way down the back corner until she reached the bottom. During this time I could still see her inside the tube she’d built as her colour shone through the web and she was visible from the side too.

12th March 2014

Her next task was to continue her web round the base of the wood, almost right round, and cover it with substrate. She built a complete hide for herself and would sit with her feet poking out.

29th July 2014

Then she disappeared from view, closing the door of her hide.
Since then she has moulted twice throwing her mangled exo out for me to clear away. She seems to open the door at monthly intervals giving me a fleeting glimpse of orange legs. Apart from these brief views, I know she’s eating well, I can tell she’s out for water by the substrate left in her bowl and the opening and closing of her front door.

Last night, 19th Jan, I got a quick view of those orange legs

I'd really love to see more of Zera but I guess she's happy in her little world.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I think this is a sign of you providing a really good habitat for her. She looks happy and healthy and unfortunately, sometimes that means we don't get to see them very often :(
Thanks for the updates though - with photos too! ;) :T:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think this is a sign of you providing a really good habitat for her. She looks happy and healthy and unfortunately, sometimes that means we don't get to see them very often :(
Thanks for the updates though - with photos too! ;) :T:

Thanks, Josh. I hope she's happy and healthy, I have no way of knowing except that I know she eats and drinks. I would imagine a moult will be due at some time soon but as she's webbed over her entrance again I guess it will be another month or so before I see those legs again.

I chose her for her colour and yet I never see it.

Payden King

3 Year Member
I have a 2 inch female I got about a month ago.. She built a web just like this right off her water dish and never leaves there. Mine was just like yours.. All over out in sight.. Then she built her web and I only see her when I drop in a worm!!

Latest posts