• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 Gallon Tank for Jumping Spider?

Alyssa Martin

So I have an extra 10 gallon tank siting around and was curious if I modified the lid if a jumping spider I have caught would do well in it?

I've got him in a 36 OZ container at the minute and the spider is very active so I feel it is not a good fit for him long term.

The articles I've read stated that a jumping spider should be kept in a 12 12 12 or the equivalent of a 7 gallon tank. So I'm assuming a 10 gallon won't be to bad?

He is wild caught (from my own home) so I feel he could find his food just fine seeing as he was hunting in winter in a large home.

I was planning on adding lots of foliage since I hear that they like to ambush and attack from above. Then adding a water dish and a small amount of coco fiber soil.

Any thoughts? I'm not to worried if he escapes seeing as we have tons of them around my home in the summer, so it's not like having a captive bred T running around haha.

Do you typically handle these guys? I've heard they like to explore and be handled so I was just curious.

Thanks!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ive never kept any type of jumping spider in anything that big. I'm not a huge fan of keeping them due to their lack of longevity compared to tarantulas. @Enn49 I think has kept some.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I kept mine in an acrylic food container that was about 6"Lx4"Wx8"H.

I apologise for not answering sooner but the US way of describing a container as a 10 gallon means nothing to me, there are so many different shapes that could hold that amount.:oops:

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I kept mine in an acrylic food container that was about 6"Lx4"Wx8"H.

I apologise for not answering sooner but the US way of describing a container as a 10 gallon means nothing to me, there are so many different shapes that could hold that amount.:oops:
It's funny, in Australia Imperial linear measurements were always used for fish tanks, we might know what a 16" tank is, but not have a clue about how many gallons or even litres it is, they're always stated as 18x10x12" for example. For gallons though I just divide by 4 for a rough estimate in litres.
When will America catch up with the rest of the world?!!! ;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's funny, in Australia Imperial linear measurements were always used for fish tanks, we might know what a 16" tank is, but not have a clue about how many gallons or even litres it is, they're always stated as 18x10x12" for example. For gallons though I just divide by 4 for a rough estimate in litres.
When will America catch up with the rest of the world?!!! ;)
We are all special unique snowflakes....:p

Latest posts