• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What should I get?

araneomagus

3 Year Member
Options are:
Avicularia Minatrix
Avicularia Urticans
Psalmopoeus Pulcher

BTW what would be considered the most docile of the blue species?
Poecilotheria Metallica
Lampropelma Violaceopes
Haplopelma Lividum
Orphnaecus sp. Blue/Panay (Phillipine Blue Tarantula)
Pterinopelma Sazimai

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
For the blue ones, P sazimai is without a doubt the most docile of the ones you mentioned.

I have a P pulcher, but she's really skittish and hide as soon as I touch her enclosure. Avicularia are maybe better display tarantulas. Personally I'd choose the urticans, because I love so much their fuzzy look!

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
About the blue ones, Thrixopelma cyaneolum is rather blue too, and not too defensive. And of course Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

Nevertheless, the most beautiful blue for a T comes from Avicularia versicolor when they are slings (they lose the blue afterwards).

And, from Poland (err... no, from Thailand!), Chilobrachys "sp. electric blue"... Maybe one day in the hobby...!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Options are:
Avicularia Minatrix
Avicularia Urticans
Psalmopoeus Pulcher

BTW what would be considered the most docile of the blue species?
Poecilotheria Metallica
Lampropelma Violaceopes
Haplopelma Lividum
Orphnaecus sp. Blue/Panay (Phillipine Blue Tarantula)
Pterinopelma Sazimai
I have Pterinopelma Sazimai but only a sling so can't really comment at the moment. Burrows a lot. Agree with the Avics mentioned, I have A. Versicolor as well as A. Purpurea (more purple than blue) as well as C. Cyaneopubescens , P. Metallica and M. Balfouri all of which are "blue" and therefore usually command a higher price. All nice on your list so you won't be dissapointed but at the end of the day there will always be an exception to the rule so no guarantee any will be docile.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For the blue ones, P sazimai is without a doubt the most docile of the ones you mentioned.

I have a P pulcher, but she's really skittish and hide as soon as I touch her enclosure. Avicularia are maybe better display tarantulas. Personally I'd choose the urticans, because I love so much their fuzzy look!
I reckon you are spot on with the P. Sazimai.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
About the blue ones, Thrixopelma cyaneolum is rather blue too, and not too defensive. And of course Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

Nevertheless, the most beautiful blue for a T comes from Avicularia versicolor when they are slings (they lose the blue afterwards).

And, from Poland (err... no, from Thailand!), Chilobrachys "sp. electric blue"... Maybe one day in the hobby...!

The Thrixopelma cyaneolum, you say they burrow alot? Is this common to the species? And I agree about the versi, definitely the most stunning blue t as a sling.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Of those Ts, P. sazimai is going to be the most docile (though I've heard they're very skittish), considering it's the only NW there. Of the OWs, P. metallica is going to be a the most docile there.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of those Ts, P. sazimai is going to be the most docile (though I've heard they're very skittish), considering it's the only NW there. Of the OWs, P. metallica is going to be a the most docile there.
For what it's worth, I agree. Have both although sazimai is a sling. P. Metallica not bad for a pokie...fast when needed thoug. The last one I got, P. Subfusca shot right up my arm and made a dash for my arm pit when unpacking.....lol

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't call any of the Old World species you listed there docile. [emoji14] Not to be difficult and nitpick here, but I feel like "Non-defensive" seems to best describe what kind of tarantula you're looking for. P.metallica isn't defensive, but they can be very very skittish and easily spooked, and I hope you're aware of how potent the venom of Poecilotheria species is. None of the ones listed are very fast, and being that none of them, outside of P.sazimai are all that calm, are more likely to put this speed to use. I'm guessing you already own a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens? If not, there's your best choice right there.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't call any of the Old World species you listed there docile. [emoji14] Not to be difficult and nitpick here, but I feel like "Non-defensive" seems to best describe what kind of tarantula you're looking for. P.metallica isn't defensive, but they can be very very skittish and easily spooked, and I hope you're aware of how potent the venom of Poecilotheria species is. All of the ones listed are very fast, and being that none of them, outside of P.sazimai are all that calm, are more likely to put this speed to use. I'm guessing you already own a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens? If not, there's your best choice right there.
I would endorse @Chubbs ast comment about C. Cyaneopubescens. Apart from one occasion just after a molt and fresh water being added, not had any "derensive" attitude from my GBB (Sully). So if you don't yet have one, an excellent choice for a "blue" and very interesting with all the webbing they lay down.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be many "docile" blue tarantulas out there that I can think of. The ones that aren't defensive are really skittish. C.cyaneopubescens is definitely the slowest and easiest to work with, but even they are skittish and can move quick (obviously to a lesser extent than these others.)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be many "docile" blue tarantulas out there that I can think of. The ones that aren't defensive are really skittish. C.cyaneopubescens is definitely the slowest and easiest to work with, but even they are skittish and can move quick (obviously to a lesser extent than these others.)
Any idea why? Often in the wild it is a sign of "keep away" as I am aggressive or not very nice to eat. Obviously they do not blend in as much as other T's but there is plenty of evidence that the animal kingdom do not have the same colour spectrum??? With P. Metallica they have basically the same pattern as moat of the indian ornamental types so if you are a predator tthat does not see colour the pattern against a tree would appear the same. Maybe evolution or a mutation....who knows. The only thing I know at the moment is "blues" seem to command a higher premium in the hobby as we (humans) tend to find them more interesting/attractive

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree on what's been said regarding the P. metallica being one of the least aggressive Pokies. I also have an Orphnaecus sp Blue Panay which is very fast but an amazing constructor of tunnels that it runs into at the slightest disturbance.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree on what's been said regarding the P. metallica being one of the least aggressive Pokies. I also have an Orphnaecus sp Blue Panay which is very fast but an amazing constructor of tunnels that it runs into at the slightest disturbance.
In all of my years of keeping pokies, I have yet to see one of ANY species that I could label as defensive. Poecilotheria are not a defensive species, they can be very "flighty", but they prefer flight over fight unless cornered or annoyed for a considerable amount of time. Some are just more high-strung than others. P.metallica is on of the more laid-back pokies for sure though, but can still be quite skittish. Where as P.ornata is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Certainly our 2, my metallica and my son's vittata, have always been very laid back.

micheldied

3 Year Member
In all of my years of keeping pokies, I have yet to see one of ANY species that I could label as defensive. Poecilotheria are not a defensive species, they can be very "flighty", but they prefer flight over fight unless cornered or annoyed for a considerable amount of time. Some are just more high-strung than others. P.metallica is on of the more laid-back pokies for sure though, but can still be quite skittish. Where as P.ornata is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I've seen several very defensive P. ornata, although I've never had the luxury of owning one myself.

Roo

3 Year Member
Avicularia Minatrix

Answer to your other question imo is Pterinopelma Sazimai (I said P. Metallica first.. derp)

Latest posts