• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should we change anything?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Had a bit of a chuckle reading it myself, it did make me wonder about the florist foam as a hide however, it carves so easy and is light weight, wondering if it would be worth making a few hides out of it for the smaller guys, slings need more moisture anyway .

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Had a bit of a chuckle reading it myself, it did make me wonder about the florist foam as a hide however, it carves so easy and is light weight, wondering if it would be worth making a few hides out of it for the smaller guys, slings need more moisture anyway .

Is that because they will be molting more often?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe that's part of it yes, spiderlings molt more frequently than an adult and they can dehydrate more easily than larger spiders.
at the same time, keeping things well ventilated and not marshy or swampy is important for their health as well, so, I was wondering if a little piece of that would work to keep humidity up a bit. I give even my tiny babies a small hide, (even though they usually bury it) anyway was wondering if that would work for the smaller ones.

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Well, I think I have finally decided on what I am getting for her substrate. I was going to order that eco earth, and also some jungle mix, and use the eco earth through out most of the enclosure, but have a patch of jungle mix where her water dish will go, and maybe a little moss. That way she can have mostly dry space, but if she keeps wanting moisture the way she has been, she will have a little area that is a bit more moist without being swampy. Now I am just trying to decide if I should keep the log hide in there or not, because she doesn't seem to use it, and it takes up a lot of space. I was thinking of replacing it with a piece of slate rock, or maybe a piece of driftwood. I might get her a few more plants or decorations, but I'm trying to keep in mind that she and I will have to both be able to find prey items in there, so nothing too crazy.

There are some really cute, very tiny, fairy garden decorations I was considering using. I can't imagine how they could be harmful to her, as many of them say they are safe for reptiles and fish. They're just some things like tiny little mushrooms, or itty bitty ladybugs. I thought it might be cute to use a few, but I'm not quite sure yet. The most important part, I think, will be getting some good substrate in there.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is that because they will be molting more often?
From what i've read the waterproof cuticle doesn't form until the 4th or 5th molt or so. Until then they can dehydrate very easily. Once that cuticle has formed (some species don't have it at all even) it's best to keep the moisture higher than they'll normally like.

Latest posts