• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should we change anything?

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Hello all! I have some questions about our tarantula tank. We just adopted a 5 year old female Grammostola Porteri, named Blanche. We brought her home in the tank she has been kept in for a few years now, and I am wondering if I need to make any changes, or if I should leave it as it is.

The tank is a 10 gallon glass aquarium, and the substrate is some type of fine sand. She has a decent sized water dish with a big sponge set in it. She has a half log, and a little plastic barrel, (which she seems to love) as well as a few rocks, and 2 plastic plants. Her previous owner did not use a heat lamp, or UTH, and says she has always been perfectly fine without these things.

I have read some conflicting info on using sand substrate, but she has been using it for years now, and is fine. Is it okay to leave her in this? Do Tarantulas require a complete change of substrate once in a while, or do you always just spot clean, or change the top layer? How often do you clean the tank? Do you use just plain water, or maybe a little vinegar water? How often do you wash decorations, and what do you use?

Should I add anything for heat? I know her previous owner didn't use anything, but I am not opposed to getting her something if it would make her more comfortable.

Do tarantulas enjoy a few changes in environment once in a while to keep things interesting, or do they prefer things in the tank stay the same? It doesn't matter much to me, either way. I would prefer to do whatever is best for her.

Here are a few pics of her current enclosure:
2yuyel5.jpg

25fudrs.jpg

wrb4uq.jpg

Our kitty, SoCo, decided to photo bomb that last one. Lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks a bit large for my tastes. Not sure about the sand. I use echo earth coco fiber mixed with potting soil for all of my Ts.

I don't change anything until it's time to rehouse as my slings grow. Maybe another member can advise on cleaning decor and maintenance.

Room temps are fine. Winter mine are kept 75-80 summers are 70-75 more around the 75 mark though as that's my most comfy temp.

Meludox

3 Year Member
I would definitely change the substrate to Eco Earth coco fiber. And when you change the substrate, make it much deeper so that the spider cannot harm itself if it falls from the sides of the enclosure. Take the sponge out of the water dish and put in fresh water.

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Thanks. I will look around for the eco earth. I think she may be molting soon, so I will at least have to wait until she recovers. I have to ask, why is the sand a no no? I will change it out, either way, but in the spirit of learning as much as I can, I am curious about why. Is it because she could accidentally injest a piece of it along with her food? What about the sponge? Is it a mold hazard? Her previous owner was an older gentleman, who is not very tech savvy, so I get the feeling his methods were just outdated, and not intentional carelessness. I am still considering adding some type of heat source because our room temps vary from 69 degrees to 74 degrees these winter months. That's a bit lower than the suggested temps.

rénee

3 Year Member
I'm not completely sure why no sand, I just know nobody uses it lol, but I'm going to go with that yes if ingested, it probably isn't the greatest, and it also gives them no way to burrow if needed, whatever substrate you do choose make sure its pesticide free also. Yes sponges are a mold hazard and carry/hold tons of bacteria. As Meludox mentioned make the substrate higher too, terrestrials sometimes like to climb, and if they do and fall we want them not to fall too far or they could rupture their abdomens. You could add a room heater, a lot of people don't like to use the heat mats because there has been cases of tarantulas cooking themselves, and they can malfunction too, and without proper care and constant checking it could just cause problems.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
few reasons
Maybe to abrasive to some species. especially after molts
The tarantula's can't burrow in sand.
keeping humidity issues.
its heavy
Some folks say it can get into their book lungs, others swear it can't
My opinion is why take the chance :p

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
I'm not completely sure why no sand, I just know nobody uses it lol, but I'm going to go with that yes if ingested, it probably isn't the greatest, and it also gives them no way to burrow if needed, whatever substrate you do choose make sure its pesticide free also. Yes sponges are a mold hazard and carry/hold tons of bacteria. As Meludox mentioned make the substrate higher too, terrestrials sometimes like to climb, and if they do and fall we want them not to fall too far or they could rupture their abdomens. You could add a room heater, a lot of people don't like to use the heat mats because there has been cases of tarantulas cooking themselves, and they can malfunction too, and without proper care and constant checking it could just cause problems.

Thanks for the info. I am learning a lot here. Maybe I won't do the UTH. For my snake viv, the UTH is connected to a thermostat, so I can monitor and control the temp. If it gets above a certain temp, the UTH will be shut off. I also use a separate digital thermometer to be sure the thermometer on the on the thermostat is working properly. Has anyone tried this for their tarantulas? Would that still be considered dangerous? I don't want to cook the spider or the snake! I wonder if I could come up with something better, just for night time. We try to keep it pretty warm in here, but these Wisconsin winters can get pretty brutal, and at times, it can get as low as 69 degrees.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
69 for short periods won't hurt, T's adapt well and are hardy creatures. I had my son check the history on our digital room thermometer and the high has been 79, the low has been 70, average temp 76 in the last 3 months. All of my T's are living well with that. So i wouldn't worry about 69 temps.

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Yes. Thank you. I have actually been reading into more detail, and it seems like it might actually be a good thing to let her temps be slightly lower and humidity slightly more dry in the winter. It does make sense that it would be a good idea to let them have an idea of seasonal changes. It is very interesting to learn about these things. I'm so glad I found this forum, and have been pointed in the right direction for good articles, and books. I have found with all my animals, that there can be a lot of conflicting information, and you really have to find the info that is current, and accurate, to the best of your ability. Thank you so much, everyone, for helping with this.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes. Thank you. I have actually been reading into more detail, and it seems like it might actually be a good thing to let her temps be slightly lower and humidity slightly more dry in the winter. It does make sense that it would be a good idea to let them have an idea of seasonal changes. It is very interesting to learn about these things. I'm so glad I found this forum, and have been pointed in the right direction for good articles, and books. I have found with all my animals, that there can be a lot of conflicting information, and you really have to find the info that is current, and accurate, to the best of your ability. Thank you so much, everyone, for helping with this.

Yep I quit reading care sheets and looking at humidity and temp requirements. If i'm not sure i ask in here :)

If it's good to let them experience seasonal changes i'll have mine all screwed up as i like my house right around 75 year round give or take.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Nice looking porteri. I have 5, all much older, each with different quirks and have always been very lady like.
Agree on changing out the sand to something more suitable and ditching the sponge in the water dish. Topsoil from a local DIY is what mine are on with some sphagnum moss on top to give them something different to walk on. Prepare for her to roam constantly after a substrate change. To her it will be a new experience and needs to acclimate to it, may take a couple days to weeks.
I've never used any supplemental heat source on mine, their room stays in mid to upper 70s most of the time.
As for cleaning, just hot tap water to remove dried poo on the sides. Remove boluses and anything objectionable when you see it.
Since Blanche is 5 look forward to another 15+ years of enjoyment with her.
Enjoy the experience.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In answer to the sand substrate, no it wont harm your tarantula. It's not the commonly used type of substrate, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it for dry species that don't burrow. It's just not the best all around option. Neither is a box of rocks, but it makes for a cool enclosure, and spiders love rocks :) We tend to go with the best and safest options in the hobby, and we can be unbending in our beliefs to the point of being boring. If you like the look of the sand, use it, she has 2 hides to crawl in or on. I'd add some rocks though..and some more plastic greenery, and I would bring the level up a bit.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jacobi's a smart guy. He and Schultz both. I just have a hard time imagining that all the tarantulas I used to chase around the sandy desert as a kid were slowly suffocating from sand. I mean, they made their burrows in it..I understand book lungs are the most rudimentary breathing organ ever, I just think we assume too much in our quest to provide the perfect enclosure....I like too use common sense..I figure if they live in it and thrive in the wild..well, I could be wrong. I don't believe I am though :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jacobi's a smart guy. He and Schultz both. I just have a hard time imagining that all the tarantulas I used to chase around the sandy desert as a kid were slowly suffocating from sand. I mean, they made their burrows in it..I understand book lungs are the most rudimentary breathing organ ever, I just think we assume too much in our quest to provide the perfect enclosure....I like too use common sense..I figure if they live in it and thrive in the wild..well, I could be wrong. I don't believe I am though :)
That's a different type (consistency, whatever) of sand though from what i see in the OP ;) This looks more like beach sand than what we played and dug in at my great uncles ranch in northern Arizona. But then again that was 30+ years ago so maybe my memory isn't accurate ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a different type (consistency, whatever) of sand though from what i see in the OP ;) This looks more like beach sand than what we played and dug in at my great uncles ranch in northern Arizona. But then again that was 30+ years ago so maybe my memory isn't accurate ;)
Well you're right, I didn't even think about the type of sand..I suppose there could be types that they don't like, or that irritate the book lungs. Maybe some kind of dusty, fine grained sand. Im just saying, they do live in sand :) And just about everything else.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
there's a big post with images on AB (older one) says it cant happen, but I sort of feel like why take any chances,
to many things can go wrong to easily to temp the Tarantula Gods into proving they are in charge :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's a substrate review on TheBTS.co.uk. everything from solid substrate to no substrate at all. Pretty interesting.

Wood chips and paper - summary Anyone using this as a substrate should be drawn and quartered. Lol and someone here just put their T on paper clippings ;) bring the horses!!

This guy even tested solid items like flower foam, and even compost. never thought i'd hear of a T enclosure with compost in it. How do they manage the temp when the compost does it's stuff? it can reach over 100F inside the compost then.

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
There's a substrate review on TheBTS.co.uk. everything from solid substrate to no substrate at all. Pretty interesting.

Wood chips and paper - summary Anyone using this as a substrate should be drawn and quartered. Lol and someone here just put their T on paper clippings ;) bring the horses!!

This guy even tested solid items like flower foam, and even compost. never thought i'd hear of a T enclosure with compost in it. How do they manage the temp when the compost does it's stuff? it can reach over 100F inside the compost then.

I tried to find that substrate review and read it, but that forum has closed registration, and I couldn't find it just browsing through. It sounds interesting.