• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Well its been a frustrating 4 weeks but finally the light at the end of the tunnel is here. Id bought a GBB from an online shop, i usually buy from the spider shop but they had none in stock and being inpatient i bought one from a different shop. When it arrived the packing wasnt the best, the spider didnt look quite right but was alive and ate. Anyway after 2 weeks it died [emoji20] i emailed the shop and asked if their guarentee of a healthy spider still applied after 2 weeks, they asked about temp and humidity, i told them what it had been kept at and they said i got that bit right so they would send me a replacement out. After a week, no spider. I emailed and they said it had been posted and should be with me any day. Another week, no spider. I emailed every day for another week, same replies. They eventually said they would send a replacement if i gave them a photo of the dead spider. Now it was my fault for not taking one but they didnt ask for one, they said straight away that a new gbb was being sent. Obviously i didnt have the spider as id disposed of it so i was kind of stuck and probably stood no chance of arguing the toss with them. Anyway they sent a quite abrupt sounding email to say they would only replace it with proof it was dead. I decided to cut my losses and its safe to say i will never buy from them again. The spider shop were still out of stock and all the other places id found wanted alot more money. I decided to buy from spidersworld.eu and i have to say that im very impressed. Price was slightly more than id originally spent on the gbb that died but was cheaper than the others id found. Emails were promptly replied to, packing was excellent, shipping was fast, paloma 2, my new GBB is gorgeous and seems to have settled right in [emoji2]
2feb8512fab40160f928619616d20c5b.jpg

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience but at least you've got a little beauty now. spidersworld.eu are a great shop

May I ask which shop you had the bad time with, was it by any chance TarantulasBristol?

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Well thats a simple mistake, i mean 270 miles isnt a massive distance so its easily done haha. Its quite shameful really though that they can be so incompitent with simple things. They have lost my custom anyway, ill stick with the spidet shop and i will defo buy from spidersworld again.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Ive actually considered opening a paypal dispute to get my money back and using their emails saying that a replacement had already been sent, only for them to change their mind after 3 weeks. Im not sure if ive got any chance though as i dont know what paypals stance on live animals is.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well its been a frustrating 4 weeks but finally the light at the end of the tunnel is here. Id bought a GBB from an online shop, i usually buy from the spider shop but they had none in stock and being inpatient i bought one from a different shop. When it arrived the packing wasnt the best, the spider didnt look quite right but was alive and ate. Anyway after 2 weeks it died [emoji20] i emailed the shop and asked if their guarentee of a healthy spider still applied after 2 weeks, they asked about temp and humidity, i told them what it had been kept at and they said i got that bit right so they would send me a replacement out. After a week, no spider. I emailed and they said it had been posted and should be with me any day. Another week, no spider. I emailed every day for another week, same replies. They eventually said they would send a replacement if i gave them a photo of the dead spider. Now it was my fault for not taking one but they didnt ask for one, they said straight away that a new gbb was being sent. Obviously i didnt have the spider as id disposed of it so i was kind of stuck and probably stood no chance of arguing the toss with them. Anyway they sent a quite abrupt sounding email to say they would only replace it with proof it was dead. I decided to cut my losses and its safe to say i will never buy from them again. The spider shop were still out of stock and all the other places id found wanted alot more money. I decided to buy from spidersworld.eu and i have to say that im very impressed. Price was slightly more than id originally spent on the gbb that died but was cheaper than the others id found. Emails were promptly replied to, packing was excellent, shipping was fast, paloma 2, my new GBB is gorgeous and seems to have settled right in [emoji2]
2feb8512fab40160f928619616d20c5b.jpg
Paloma is lovely. Did yu name as you kept "Faith" in getting one ☺Did the initials T and B come I to play here? UK keepers should know who I mean. I have been lucky by all accounts as all mine been ok when I have had to use them.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Paloma is lovely. Did yu name as you kept "Faith" in getting one ☺Did the initials T and B come I to play here? UK keepers should know who I mean. I have been lucky by all accounts as all mine been ok when I have had to use them.
Just realised I didn't need to be as covert with TB as others have already named and shamed.....lol

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Haha there was an amount of faith in it all phil. Yes the same one id spoke to you about previously. You have been quite lucky with your purchases from them.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive actually considered opening a paypal dispute to get my money back and using their emails saying that a replacement had already been sent, only for them to change their mind after 3 weeks. Im not sure if ive got any chance though as i dont know what paypals stance on live animals is.
If you purchased under goods and services then go for it. If you chose payment to friend or family (retailers ask for this to avoid 5% fees) then you are probably not going to get much joy.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haha there was an amount of faith in it all phil. Yes the same one id spoke to you about previously. You have been quite lucky with your purchases from them.
Yes my 3 or 4 shipments have all been ok. One issue with the Purpurea which was ok packaging but probably battered by Royal Mail. Spider was on the verge of crawling out the crushed container as I was unpacking but spider is fine. I am after 2 other T's at the moment and only TB have both in to save on postage. Second thoughts now again.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Have you bought from spidersworld, this was my first purchase from them and they were fantastic. I chose the £10 royal mail shipping but they emailed me and said where i live is elligable for bus delivery. Basically a van drives from poland to uk delivering spiders lol. It was £15 and you pay the driver. I was a little bit skeptical at first but i chose it as they recommended it as the safest option given royal mails history of delivering battered parcels. They refunded me the £10 shipping id paid, i got an email saying my order was complete on friday morning, the van set off on friday and the spider arrived yesterday evening. Very very impressed with them.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you bought from spidersworld, this was my first purchase from them and they were fantastic. I chose the £10 royal mail shipping but they emailed me and said where i live is elligable for bus delivery. Basically a van drives from poland to uk delivering spiders lol. It was £15 and you pay the driver. I was a little bit skeptical at first but i chose it as they recommended it as the safest option given royal mails history of delivering battered parcels. They refunded me the £10 shipping id paid, i got an email saying my order was complete on friday morning, the van set off on friday and the spider arrived yesterday evening. Very very impressed with them.
I have not tried them (yet) but I know Enn and LC72UK swear by them. I think if they have deliveries of tanks they tend to have spiders in the delivery van too. I have no need for enclosures atm as all mine are sorted and have identical set ups (OCD in me....lol) so every time I just look at delivery, it seems that little bit more than what I can get in the UK. I am seriously tempted but the issue is I work full time (for the government who will will not accept packages in the work place) and with the spider shop or even TB I can state the date for delivery and get delivered to another address. I think that flexibility is lost somewhat with the Polish sites, although I do have some leave coming up in August ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tell TB that you are going to Trading Standards , they won`t like that. I Get all my T`s from Poland, vary rarely do I buy from UK , unless it`s a sp of T that I cannot get anywhere else.
Or from trusted members I hope......lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
TB used to be one of the best in the UK but sadly things seem to have gone wrong with them and I certainly won't use them again. Like @LC72uk I buy most of my Ts from Poland now, apart from spidersworld.eu and spidershop.pl there is also http://www.spidersonline.pl/en_US/c/Tarantulas/61. If you buy containers from spidershop.pl they are delivered by courier, a 24 hour trip, and any Ts ordered at the same time will be packed inside the containers, giving them a quick journey.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
I think apart from the spider shop i wont buy from the uk again, ive always used them and never been dissapointed with them. Also now ive bought from poland i will defo look on their sites too from now on.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
If you purchased under goods and services then go for it. If you chose payment to friend or family (retailers ask for this to avoid 5% fees) then you are probably not going to get much joy.
I paid with paypal through their website so im assuming that it will be under goods and services. Should i contact TB first and ask for a refund or just go straight ahead with a dispute through paypal?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I paid with paypal through their website so im assuming that it will be under goods and services. Should i contact TB first and ask for a refund or just go straight ahead with a dispute through paypal?
Straight through PayPal is best. May just be the incentive needed. Hope it works out.