• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Acclimating a new B. albopilosum sling

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is my set up for my 3 inch Avicularia sp. "amazonica"
uploadfromtaptalk1436839018513.jpg

A tall plastic container with a cork slab leaned against one side of the enclosure, and some plastic plants. I don't bother with live plants, as they are too much maintenance to deal with. I have several roles of holes drilled on each side and none on top.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well I'm hijacking my own thread but thanks so much for the info and pic!

What's best for a sub-1" Avic sling?

And, should I put a piece of cork bark in our Brachy enclosure.of our T seems to hang out outside of the burrow often (not a shy guy per say)?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is Eco Earth and organic potting soil "safe" together or separately?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are there any pesticides or fertilizers in it? I'd just go with cocoa fiber/eco earth or if you're gonna use soil, use regular top soil. Or mix them.

I personally only use cocoa fiber or peat.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are there any pesticides or fertilizers in it? I'd just go with cocoa fiber/eco earth or if you're gonna use soil, use regular top soil. Or mix them.

I personally only use cocoa fiber or peat.

Personally, I'm fine with using Eco Earth as it seems to be the commercial standard - plus it's readily available and pesticide free. Easy peasy.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Interesting behavioral observation

Our sling isn't too shy, and in fact seems quite gregarious, opting to be outside of the burrow when we are around.

The enclosure is in a darker part of the apartment for now to allow it to acclimate in a lower traffic area, but if I go over and shine a flashlight (cautiously and indirectly at first then slowly panning the beam to the enclosure) it will actually climb out of the burrow as if to "catch the spotlight" - it's quite amusing.

Is it normal for B. albopilosum to be outgoing, sociable and drawn to light?
(I understand these are my projections of human characteristics on a spider, but it seems to fit)

Latest posts