• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Acclimating a new B. albopilosum sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there gang, first time T owner to be.

Arriving tomorrow from jamiestrantuals.com is a B. albopilosum spiderling, an enclosure and 100 mixed-size lats to launch our tarantula odyssey. I did start reading the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, but it's a deep-read that skips about quite a bit and I've yet to find a bullet-type "do this" list pertaining to new keepers and new pets.

So here I am looking for advice or information regarding how to handle the package upon delivery as to make the arrival as stress-free as possible for all involved. I know from experience ordering other pets via post that how you receive, handle and acclimate can make a big difference in the critter's ultimate success, so I'm looking for similar wizdom here.

I suspect I will setup the sling enclosure first, and introduce the T at some short interval thereafter; but I'm wondering if there is a calming process or break-in period that should be observed.

We live in Santa Monica, where the temps are currently in the 70s indoors, wintertime as low 50s, and sometimes the height of the summertime heat can break 85 - and we don't have air conditioning.

The lats will eventually go into either a 5G or 10G spare fish tank assuming I can fashion a proper lid. I understand I will eventually need to heat this to keep it a balmy 80°F year-round.

Please don't assume I know anything, so drop some knowledge on me, and thanks in advance!

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi & congrats on the new T :) (awsome spices)
its quite simple
1,unpack
2,move to new enclosure
3, place enclosure where u dessire & your done !!!
your temps will be fine !!! (so u wont have to acclimate the T) as for a calming period the quicker the in there in there new home the quicker they will calm down. ;););) ENJOY !!!

P.S Ts arnt as compclated as some other pets !!! a majour up side to keeping them.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I agree with spidey noob.
My advice:
1) set up the enclosure. Firmly pack the substrate, should be moist, and at least 1-1/2" or more depending on enclosure size, these burrow.
2) have a "catch" cup nearby, remove vial cap, slowly remove the plug and place it inside the enclosure. Hopefully it doesn't dart out and will venture out on its own. Remove shipping vial and allow it 4-5 days to acclimate.
3) after acclimation period, offer prey, I start mine with pre killed. Place near hide or burrow opening, they will scavenge feed. Feed twice weekly, remove uneaten or the bolus in 24 hours.
4) if possible, keep at upper 70's, helps promote growth, your temp will be OK. Always keep the water dish full.

Now on to the roaches:
I keep and breed Shelfordella lateralis species in a 10 gallon (for now) tank. 1" of topsoil mixed with sand in the bottom. Keep the sub fairly moist at all times. Place one each, food and water dish at one end, other end place plenty of paper tubes or pulp type egg cartons within 2-3" from the top. Temperature, mine is 82 degrees, will help hasten reproduction when females mature. You can make your own food or buy commercial roach chow, your choice.
Btw, my MF is such a "bulldozer", always rearranging some part of her enclosure. [emoji3]

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Roger all that, Therasoid

Package received. Enclosure assembled. T introduced to enclosure. Inhabited enclosure moved to low traffic area of apartment.
Roaches will be staged in a 1G rimless tank pending proper setup.

Now to keep my kid from stressing the T out by jostling the enclosure to see the T move.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Found our T venturing out today, he must be getting more comfortable.
I decided to see if he wanted another pinhead read, so I immobilized another one, and dropped it to expire in the clearing the T made in the corner of the enclosure. The roach was gone after about 30 mins, and the T hung out for about an hour before retreating into the burrow.

Here's a few pics of our little T while he was "hanging out" outside of his burrow today
uJ7h2K3J13xPAs5S5mXkwZWMjAp9p8nK3K-bqy01AYs=w441-h587-no
0cb6cOvzeBmiCQwMu2HaF-hybu-eITgIHXAZVB1JZZM=w441-h587-no

Ironically, as I posted this, it is outside of the burrow "exploring" the enclosure, specifically the area where I dropped the pinhead earlier today... could it still be hungry or just being sociable? LOL

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks, S. noob :thumbsup

It's been hanging outside the burrow now, more than being inside, and climbed the walls of the enclosure yesterday evening - either it's getting comfortable, or something is not working. Time will tell.

I wonder how "sociable" our B. albopilosum is...

BTW, how do you house your A. versicolor slings, BTW? I'd love to see a pic :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
FWIW, I've noticed our B. albopilosum sling outside of the burrow, all over the enclosure in fact, more than hiding in the burrow.

Normal behavior?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
In a few years from now this is what you'll be looking at. This is my AF. [emoji4]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1436818123736.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1436818123736.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 56

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Thanks, she is a real sweetheart, never a threat posture nor kicked hairs. Got her as a 3/4" sling about 13 years ago if my memory is correct. The cup is her hide, rarely uses it, has a burrow at the other end of the enclosure. [emoji3]

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks, she is a real sweetheart, never a threat posture nor kicked hairs. Got her as a 3/4" sling about 13 years ago if my memory is correct. The cup is her hide, rarely uses it, has a burrow at the other end of the enclosure. [emoji3]

I am into the idea of a live terrarium, and making our T housing a living display. I don't mind setting up "ultimate" housing with live plants now, letting everything grow in and mature, until our T is large enough.
Seems most don't do that... is there a downside to that kind of a setup besides the typical mold, pests, etc?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I am into the idea of a live terrarium, and making our T housing a living display. I don't mind setting up "ultimate" housing with live plants now, letting everything grow in and mature, until our T is large enough.
Seems most don't do that... is there a downside to that kind of a setup besides the typical mold, pests, etc?
I've seen some truly gorgeous setups with live plants. I use artificial pieces in mine to be honest.
More time invested caring for the plants than the T I would imagine. By all means go for it, you have lots of time to get everything set up properly before introducing the T.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with. Make sure to get the gf involved. [emoji6]

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't mind caring for plants, i do that plenty already! Seems arboreals need more humidity than terrestrials, as a general rule. Maybe I'd love be better off building a taller terrarium for a future arboreal...

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Humidity depends more upon what type of climate the tarantula comes from. There are plenty species that require more moisture, both terrestrial and arboreal. For example, lots of people assume that Avics need lots of humidity. The truth is they don't. In fact, both myself and lots of others have noticed that they do better with dry substrate and lots of cross-ventilation. Avicularia live up in the trees, where there is constantly air circulating, which dries up the rain. They're not on the forest floor where all of the moisture is like Ephebopus.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So, in your experience, a live-planted enclosure for an A. versicolor would be better off heavily vented, even in SoCal where it tends to be fairly arid?

I used to keep chameleons in 100% screened enclosures with live plants - is that too breezy a setup?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, in your experience, a live-planted enclosure for an A. versicolor would be better off heavily vented, even in SoCal where it tends to be fairly arid?

I used to keep chameleons in 100% screened enclosures with live plants - is that too breezy a setup?
Cross-ventilation is a must have with Avics, regardless of where you live. You don't want a moist stuffy cage. Stagnant air often kills them.

Latest posts