• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

why is cross breeding is a taboo in the hobby?

BossRoss

3 Year Member
There is already very little unequivocal scientific research about tarantulas. With 900+ species known to man, there seems to be no need for them to research Ts as there is no benefit to humans(or none that are known as of yet). Some species have not been scientifically labelled and adding hybrid species into the hobby wont help and just creates mass confusion(should the cross breeding be successful)

Cross breeding in every known case has produced sterile off-spring; meaning you wouldnt be able to breed your babies if they lived a full life.

Many of the true hobbiest are collecting Ts in attempt to get a better understanding of these weird and wonderful creatures. They try replicate and simulate natural environments as closely as possible. Some hobbiests are even contributing to science by their findings.

There is absolutely no good reason to produce hybrids unless you're a taxonomist verifying species status. Anyone who does produce hybrids with the intention of selling them deserves to be blacklisted from the rest of the hobbyists for even the smallest of trades. Have you already collected and bred all the available species? If not why are you even considering cross-breeding(OP last statement not directed at you but there for any future readers!!!)

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
The only problem with hybrids for the hobby is that they are often mislabeled and sold as something else, causing even more damage when bred down the line with a pure spider.

Just as a correction BossRoss, tarantula hybrids are not sterile, otherwise there would be no real need to worry about them as they would not be able to breed and cause more hybridization.

These topics often get quite heated for people who are for them vs people who are against them, but I am not quite sure that people are aware of how many hybrids are actually already in the hobby. Genera that are often accidentally (And purposefully) hybridized are Avicularia, Brachypelma, Hysterocrates, Grammostola, Ceratogyrus, Poecilotheria, Pamphobeteus, and a few others. There are many first time new comers to the hobby that breed two spiders who were sold to them as something and they take the sellers word for it. Most of us (Myself included) think that we have a pretty clear understanding of which spiders are which, but in reality, I think that maybe 5% of all breeders actually confirm the male and female are the correct species by checking the official description papers and comparing it to their specimens/moults from their specimens. With the majority of Genera and species it is pretty clear, but there is still tons of confusion amoungst people with genera like Avicularia or Hysterocrates, and yet these are still often bred and everyone just assumes we have the correct species.

So as much as people are against hybrids lots of them are still accidentally producing them without even knowing.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
I'm new to T's but making hybrids is generally frowned upon with any species other than a few constrictors (and there's still some heated debate over those, but the hybrids are more obvious and you'd have a hard time selling them as something else). I know I wouldn't be able to tell a hybrid from a 'purebred' and I'd be personally pretty ticked off if I bought an animal that wasn't what it was being sold as.

idk if this holds true for T's, but I raise garters I've noticed a lot of accidental hybrids (frowned upon pretty heavily) between really beautiful garter species end up looking like mud compared to the parents.

hellknite

3 Year Member
Something like this?
uploadfromtaptalk1415420452695.jpg

orange bity thing

3 Year Member
Hahaha thanks for the answer guys
i ask this for me to answer some question for a friend..

Ill post another question tom
please be online :)

Thanks or the reply

Latest posts