• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Ts are next on your list?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmm sounds like both would be cool... A more active T would be a nice change of pace, but I appreciate just sitting there looking pretty too.

I just don't want anything that'll get super territorial or teleport up the tongs while I'm doing cage maintenance, lol. I think I can handle an enthusiastic feeding response and a bit of defensiveness or skittishness, as I'm already very cautious and never get too close.

The A. genic I saw was bigger, 4-5". I have yet to see an N. chromatus for sale but it's definitely on my radar. Just gotta see if I can persuade the husband that we totally need more spiders >_>

EDIT: those are some lovely T's you have BTW!!!
each T is different ;) but my son's A. genic isn't a pet rock. It will sit for a while in one place, but also responds to movement around it's enclosure. It is very territorial also. She won't let you fill or move the water dish, or move anything else in her enclosure, she'll slap the tongs, not climb up them. We have to distract her to the other corner of the enclosure with food to do her water ;) She's only once tried to climb the tongs, but that was when the roach my son was going to drop in for her decided to run up the tongs also :D

I don't have an N. chromatus anymore, but my N. coloratovilosus is like @Enn49 describes. He/she has a great feeding response and a temperament similar to the genic, but is almost always on the move. He's coppied Redrum recently and flipped his hide upside down to use as a lounger. She finally let me put her's back right (Redrum), but Duke won't, he keeps flipping his over.

jackys

3 Year Member
each T is different ;) but my son's A. genic isn't a pet rock. It will sit for a while in one place, but also responds to movement around it's enclosure. It is very territorial also. She won't let you fill or move the water dish, or move anything else in her enclosure, she'll slap the tongs, not climb up them. We have to distract her to the other corner of the enclosure with food to do her water ;) She's only once tried to climb the tongs, but that was when the roach my son was going to drop in for her decided to run up the tongs also :D

I don't have an N. chromatus anymore, but my N. coloratovilosus is like @Enn49 describes. He/she has a great feeding response and a temperament similar to the genic, but is almost always on the move. He's coppied Redrum recently and flipped his hide upside down to use as a lounger. She finally let me put her's back right (Redrum), but Duke won't, he keeps flipping his over.

Making a lounger out of a hide! That is awesome! :D I do really enjoy watching my T's web or dig, so I'd love one that moves its decor around.

"Has to be distracted with food" echoes what I've been seeing about A. genic on the YouTubes... It sounds manageable, considering everyone mentions their big appetites too.

One thing I find conflicting info on for all these species is the water situation. Can they be a "dry sub + water dish" type, or do they prefer more moisture?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Making a lounger out of a hide! That is awesome! :D I do really enjoy watching my T's web or dig, so I'd love one that moves its decor around.

"Has to be distracted with food" echoes what I've been seeing about A. genic on the YouTubes... It sounds manageable, considering everyone mentions their big appetites too.

One thing I find conflicting info on for all these species is the water situation. Can they be a "dry sub + water dish" type, or do they prefer more moisture?
I keep all slings in moist sub until they're about 1.5" or so dls. Then on the next rehouse they get just dry sub and a water dish. That's roughly the size they develop the waterproof membrane in their exo. During premolt and molt i'll overflow the water dish for a little extra humidity.

Latest posts