• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What kind of tarantula did I get!?!?!

Arielabrachypelma

I am a beginner tarantula enthusiast and after I ordered a few tarantula's (Brachypelma Albopilosum only) the company gave me one extra and just told me to keep it. It was labeled Brachypelma Albopilosum and looked like the rest when I got it but when it molted the tarantula turned like a creamy white to my surprise which non of the other Brachypelma Albopilosum did so I found that abnormal . While it turned white I took a picture of he or she while they were white but then after molting again a second time the tarantula turned back to the gray pink like a regular Brachypelma Albopilosum and has stayed that colour since even after molting again. My tarantulas are young and definitely not fully matured nor getting any prominent markings. Is this normal for Brachypelma Albopilosum to turn white? Or did I get a different species that looks the same until maturing?

Last edited:

RonC

3 Year Member
I have only one B.albo and only saw it for two days before it burrowed. It is much smaller than yours.Mistakes do happen in the hobby industry but are rare from what I see. Who did you purchase from if I might ask? Hopefully someone with more experience can shed some light on the coloration issue. Mine turn light after molting like you said but darken when dried. Welcome to the forums also.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It could still be a b also but after a molt they wouldn't have hardened and could appear lighter in a small sling.

It's hard to tell with slings what species it is as they generally look very similar. Best to still consider it a brachy albo and when it molts a few more times and starts to get some colouration you'll be able to tell

Arielabrachypelma

I have only one B.albo and only saw it for two days before it burrowed. It is much smaller than yours.Mistakes do happen in the hobby industry but are rare from what I see. Who did you purchase from if I might ask? Hopefully someone with more experience can shed some light on the coloration issue. Mine turn light after molting like you said but darken when dried. Welcome to the forums also.
I got mine as a gift and the person who bought them got them from Tarantula Canada

Latest posts