• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What could be wrong with my m. balfouri?

Riri

This started yesterday - my 6 cm (2.3 inches) female Monocentropus balfouri is very weak and twitches her legs when she tries to move. She can't stand that well and moving is just legs poorly dragging her body. I noticed this only yesterday because she came out of her web tunnel that she has not left before. I was ofc happy to see her but eventually I noticed she didn't really move and she was staying in weird position. Some of her legs started to curl under her. When I poked her with a brush, she just spasmed and twitched around. You can see in the videos below.

I moved her in ICU for the night because I feared maybe this was bad dehydration, this morning not much changed. She did walk around but still legs very weak, twitching, some legs bending weirdly. I just put her in an enclosure with only substrate. I guess what I can do best right now is just make sure she has water and I don't disturb her anymore.

Now this totally came as surprise for me, because she has been eating well (mealworms and wax worms), last she ate was 3 days ago. I got her only a month ago, none of these problems then. Ate, webbed and has pooped. Bolted without problem. Has not molted. Very typical and healthy balfouri.

I sadly can't show her last enclosure since I teared it down to get her out safely for ICU. I used arcadia earth mix in her enclosure, I use it now too. I have other tarantulas, all of them eat the same food and use this same substrate and the others are very healthy, never shown these signs. I very strictly don't spray any chemicals in my tarantula room.

I want some thoughts from other keepers. What I should do now, what could this behavior be. I have kept tarantulas for a bit over a year now, nothing like this happened before. I'm obviously scared for my balfouri's future.

The videos are from my ig.

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_023553.jpg
    IMG_20210516_023553.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • VID_138230127_170239_069.mp4
    1.9 MB
  • VID_138230521_072728_130.mp4
    876.4 KB

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The video helps alot. Looks like DKS to me. We don't know much about the disorder--some people have surmised it is in part due to chemical exposure, but I don't believe it. There is some science that indicates that, just like octopi, tarantulas have a neurologic independence to their leg movements.

Others will offer help, but I think the best you can do is place her in a smallish enclosure, water dish at all times and pray that she molts out of it.

The best of luck. Your balfouri is awfully beautiful.

Riri

The video helps alot. Looks like DKS to me. We don't know much about the disorder--some people have surmised it is in part due to chemical exposure, but I don't believe it. There is some science that indicates that, just like octopi, tarantulas have a neurologic independence to their leg movements.

Others will offer help, but I think the best you can do is place her in a smallish enclosure, water dish at all times and pray that she molts out of it.

The best of luck. Your balfouri is awfully beautiful.
Thank you. I did think about DKS, I kinda hoped it wasn't. Let's hope for the best.

Riri

Fingers crossed. I have a bunch of them (different sizes) and never witnessed DKS with them. Please keep us updated, regardless of the outcome. Thank you.View attachment 57175
They are beautiful, and a communal That's super cool. My situation is the same, she is very weak and twitching hasn't stopped when she tries to move. I'm still leaving her alone, pretty much only checking if she is still alive and her waterdish is full and clean. Trying next weekend if she could eat, but if she stays this weak I doubt it

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are beautiful, and a communal That's super cool. My situation is the same, she is very weak and twitching hasn't stopped when she tries to move. I'm still leaving her alone, pretty much only checking if she is still alive and her waterdish is full and clean. Trying next weekend if she could eat, but if she stays this weak I doubt it
know that you are doing all you can