• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Update on my first T ...

FuzzyFangs

3 Year Member
Got her last Friday ...

Just a little update. Miska is doing very well. She doesn't hide much, which I enjoy. She seems to like the lighter two corners of her enclosure. She's usually climbing there. She has put down webbing over I'd say 65 percent of the open area. She dug a small crater about fist-sized and webbed over it, before sitting in that hole for hours. Then, she was back out, climbing at the corners.
I feed her six gut-fed crickets twice a week. Do you think that is too much?

Also, I give her water dish six or seven sprays every few days. She doesn't drink from the water dish, but she likes to fill it with substrate. When you all say spray down the substrate to keep moisture, guesstimate on how many "sprays" from a standards squirt bottle is enough. I'm not sure if I'm keeping enough humidity for her; although, she is active so I must be doing something right. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

I live in Central PA, and the temps here are now in the 80s and 90s, but in the room with my T, the temp stays about 78 so I think I'm good there.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
What size is your tarantula, with feeding I feed my f5 inch G. rosea 2 large cricket a week, and my 3 and 1/2 inch A. avicularia 1 large cricket a week. I hope this helps some with your feeding questions. Also congratulations on the new tarantula.

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
Also for the humidity what kind of tarantula do you have. It would not be a bad idea to get a humidity gauge to stick on the wall in the tank. It will give you a basic idea on the humidity in there until you know how much and how often you need to spray it. What it takes to get the right humidity can very as much as even house to house.

Oodalolie

3 Year Member
That seems like a lot of food, but they won't eat it if they don't want it. Just make sure you remove it if the food has been in there for a day :) you might also try roaches, they've got more stuff in them than crickets do.
I'm not sure what kind of T Miska is, but Mike's Basic Tarantula guide has some good info if you're looking for husbandry advice by species :) I have a little moss scattered around my T's enclosure because it retains moisture well. You can also have a live plant to contribute to the humidity.
Hope that helps!